1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Beautiful Rickenbacker 4005 in burgundy, on the 'Bay!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IAmACrocodile, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Hello all! :)

I apologise if this has been posted before, but there is a *beautiful* Rickenbacker 4005 on eBay at the moment - a 1974 model with a gorgeous solid burgundy finish, excellent condition for its age, and almost all original... Here she is - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-Ricken...s-/251123157853?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a781b4b5d

It is way out of my price range for now, but if I had $8500 burning a hole in my pocket I would be straight onto it! The price is probably quite realistic for an all-original (apart from the thumb rest and the wiring harness!) 4005 which has been looked after really well, and with such a rare finish. I think it is a beauty!

Cheers, everyone!
    Peter

(No affiliation with the seller at all.)

2. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    That is a sweet looking bass. Color looks identical to my '74.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    The 4005 basses are nice ... but a 1974 4001 would be a better bass for a lot less money.

The pickup placement on the 4005 is not optimal. The 4001/4003 is a much better bass for looks and for playing.

4. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    It's in great condition except for the two drill holes. A little pricey, though. +1 Ric5. They're nice eye candy, but the 4003 series sound much better.

5. Thankyou for the comments, everyone! Please keep them coming!

The line-up of basses in your avatar is beautiful! I love 1951-style P-basses, and to have a sweet old 4001 in burgundy alongside it is really the icing on the cake.
    It's funny - I have never seen a burgundy Rickenbacker bass before, and then two come along which are both from 1974. Does anyone happen to know whether Rickenbacker was making a lot of them in '74, or is it just coincidence?

As far as the pickup placement is concerned - yeah, it's a bit extreme, isn't it? :) Still, the few 4005s which I have heard have been close enough to the classic Rick tone for me, and the hollow body adds something very nice to the sound. But as you say - a quarter of the price would get you a killer 1970s 4001! :bassist:

6. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Yeah $8,500 is pretty steep.

7. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    I want a 4005... too bad i'm poor.

8. bassman700

bassman700

Nov 6, 2011
    Idk i it's just me, but I don't really like the look of the 4005.. :S

9. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Aug 29, 2010
    To me...PU placement is perfect!

10. You've got me intrigued, StereoPlayer! I would love to hear more about your experiences and opinions with the 4005, and how it compares to 4001s and 4003s. Have you ever owned a 4005, and did you gig and/or record with it quite a lot? What was it that you liked about the pickup placement ?

Looking forward to hearing all about it from you! :hyper:

11. Just thought that I would upload a few pictures of the bass from my original post (the burgundy 4005 on eBay), incase anybody who is searching for 4005 information some time in the future finds this thread and wants to see it. :)

Here she is - what a beauty!

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

12. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Aug 29, 2010
    I have played a '71 4001 since '74.

The 4005 has been a quest for a long time, I know alot of people don't like them....too big of a body, etc.

I play in stereo on most of my basses. The bass PU is amped for lows and mids and the treble PU is amped for mids and highs. Sometimes I use two amps and other times I use a two channel amp, each channel EQed to my liking.

I Like the idea of the 4005's PU's being set to extreme distance from each other. Full bass tone, Lots of treble tone.

One of the Hofner Beatle Basses has a setup that way. Not sure of any others. Rickenbacker knows what they are doing in regards to basses and guitars that work. They are pretty smart...if the PU placement didn't work, I sure they would have made another placement choice.

I am not a firm believer in that specicial sweet spot or PU's set to harmonics. As soon as a note is fretted, that special sweet spot moves!

To me it's all about tone. FULL bassey tone, mixed with extreme treble tone.

I'm not sure if any 4005's had Ric-O-Sound, but I would probabaly remove and preserve the original wiring and wire it stereo.

These are only my opinions and thoughts on this.
    Truthfully...they are priced out of my reach. Unless I won the lottery or stumbled upon a closet find!

Altough the price on the above 4005 is a great buy, it is not for me. I usually see them for around $15,000.

I want a FG 4005

Also, as far a looks go...the 4005 IS beautiful!

13. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Aug 29, 2010
    They usually go for $15,000, THIS IS A decent price, maybe it's the year that keeps the price down.

I do searches at least once a month. they are very rare.

14. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    I owned one a long time ago,had it strung with Ric flatwound strings,but i was much more into the Chris Squire/ Tom Pettersson sound at the time,and sold it to buy a bc rich Eagle bass....i have played one more recently,and if they were comparably priced,i wouldn't mind having one,but it is ergonomically not all that comfortable, unlike say a v63 or a 4004 series. The italia rimini looks like it would get you almost there for a lot less money these days.

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Could get a few, uh 1/2 dozen new AM ST Precisions in my favorite colors for that kinda bread. The Rick's cool, it's also a museum piece.

16. Waterstone has a model called ME-3 that is similar in look, but I KNOW it is not a real Rick.

17. For what it is worth, I just recently bought this exact bass - it is lovely and I was shocked at how well it plays!

18. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    4005 sell for quite a bit less for 15k. Even 8.5k is a little steep. For 8k I'd expect it to be in good condition and 60s features (FW inlays, walnut wings, toasters etc.)

19. It is nice, but I paid less than $8500. That was the asking price from the old seller - I bought from someone else.