1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beauty of the Bassburst!!!!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by james condino, Nov 8, 2010.

1. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    After a summer of letting my bass build from last year simply sit where it was and playing the daylights out of it as much as possible with no luthier interventions, I've been back at it...

A few weeks ago I broke it all down, loaded up the ride, and made the pilgrimage up to visit Arnold. It was brilliant, fun, a pleasure, and an honor to now refer to him as "my friend Arnold". Two bass dorks wrapped up in laughter, complexity, alchemy, and an afternoon interlude through the incredible autumn leaves of New England involving three bass geeks and a couple of fancy sports cars that left one of the old guys near heart attack when a young hottie rubbed up against the convertible Lotus and purred how nice it was....

New knowledge in hand ( just basses), I've been madly refining the big blonde bass. That done, I thought I'd follow up with a proper finish and a bit of eye candy, instead of just the blonde sealer coats that were on it. This was just the first step and the colors are a little off from the flash. I think you'll get the idea.... Tell me again why it needs to be brown???......

There was a video crew in the "paint room" with me from "_______ ________". No financial interest or connection here or during the filming; it was just too much fun to pass up on. They should have it all edited into a fancy you tube channel video in a week or so; I'll post the results then for follow up.

j.

P1010001.

P1010007.

If you are going big, might as well aim high. When it comes to color, over a wide spectrum of instruments, most of what I get asked to do is a variation on the red sunburst theme. Deep down inside, I think that somewhere in most of us lurks that goofy 13 year old lusting after a nice old Les Paul. I generally give a copy of "Beauty of the Burst" to whoever owns the instrument ( in this case it is mine) to chose the specific 'burst characteristics they want, and then take it directly with me into the "paint room" in order to get a good match. For this one, I came reasonably close to the '59 Brock 'burst. For most colors, I'll shoot it a little dark with the knowledge that in 5-10 years a Brock 'burst will fade out a bit to an iced tea burst. 'Not for everyone, but then again, it is not for sale....:)

P1010009-1.

P1010013.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    That's purdy.

I'm having a hard time seeing what's going on around the neck block. Is it a removable neck?

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    You've been having fun! Looks good James. ;)

4. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Dead sexy. Me like.:bassist:

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Very nice.

6. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Very nice, indeed! Came out great! Wish I could have been on that trip! Mine will have to wait for the summer.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The 'burst looks great! As for the rest, no pics, no Arnold, no Lotus. :) *

* you can tell that this is the DB forum because of the lack of mention of the "hottie".

8. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Looks really good! I'd be interested to hear about the refinements you've made, too.

9. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    I'd sell my kidney to be with you this afternoon!

10. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    Just so you know, Spruce Dork, I was conveying your admirable work to another friend just this past weekend. Now, you come on here with updates to "the bass" and the front of my shirt is wet from salivation. I hope to schedule some time with you before too much longer to get a bit of setup stuff done to one of my basses.

Carry on, James.

11. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Very nice! Next thing you know you'll have a rockabilly pompadour, and be slapping that thing onstage doing bass tricks! :D

(chicks dig that stuff :smug:)

12. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Yea man. The fusion of guitar and double bass really kills me. As you can imagine it's a sweet spot for me.

Nice paintwork btw. I've done a bunch of bursts and getting them to look that good takes some chops.

Kudos.

13. james condino

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    What makes you think I don't already have that going on???? Rather than the rockabilly pompadour, I'll take the "Del" hair helmet.

j.

14. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Do you mean 'Dell' as in laptop or 'Del' as in McCoury? :D

15. JC,jc.

16. james condino

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Del Yeah!!!!

17. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    Lovely finish James and it really accentuates your edgework on those plates.

I'm interested in that neck block too, but you might not be showing ...

18. james condino

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    The neck joint was described fairly well in the original thread on this bass last year, along with several images. The basic idea is the old Bob Taylor guitar neck joint with a 42" scale length. I've made about 250 guitars and another 50+ mandolins using this system, so it was a no brainer for me (all of the current mandolins use a traditional dovetail). I like it, I'm very familiar with it, and I already know how to build it. There are a lot of very interesting designs out there right now. Many of them are a bit more complicated than I feel they need to be and I'm not a fan of bolts visible on the outside of the heel; I see enough homegrown poor repairs that look like that every week. I think that Arnold's new system may set a great standard, but I'll let him handle all of the press releases. Either way, 'pretty cool to be able to just pop the neck off in 20 seconds and toss everything into the trunk of your compact rental car....:)

P1010049.

This is the first generation image with the original small soundport and the button still attached to the back. Both have been modified since.

Jake- I should be out your way with this bass all tucked away in the back of the car in about 9 months. I'll drop by your "corporate headquarters" for a visit and a little laughter and we'll put it all back together so you can knock a few fresh scratches in it and thump away....

j.

19. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    What finish did you do on the top plate? Carrying the burst over or something else?

20. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I love the idea of the sound port on top of the bass to let me hear it better. How well does that work?