Beauty? or the Beast?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Sep 10, 2005.

1. So, I'm looking into purchasing a "high-end" bass, and actually saving up for something that will keep my fickle heart fixed onto bass. I've come to the decision of either a German master piece, or a Leo Fender "hot rod" so to speak.

I've narrowed it down to two similarly priced basses, new and used. It's either a Warwick Corvette Active, or a Music Man Sting Ray/Sterling.

Right now I am playing alot of hard rock music, ala Staind, Godsmack, Coal Chamber, and other stuff like that. However, I'm also getting into alternate playing styles like tapping, slapping, and this real chorusy stuff that sounds killer on a 6 string.

Anyway, I eventually would love to own one of each of these basses, but am in a dillemma as to which to buy first. What do you guys think will remedy this? Would an extended "test drive" in Guitar Center be able to help me choose? Any other ideas?

2. Personally, I'd go for the corvette.
    I have played a musicman 5 for the last two years and played a double-bill show with another band. The bass player was using a Warwick Corvette standard 4 and a Thumb N/T 5 and his tone blew me away.
    I sat with him and had a few drinks afer the gig and had a chat about basses, etc. and I told him that his tone was incredible and he credited the 'wicks for it.
    After playing them for about an hour through my rig backstage I was converted.
    I just ordered a custom thumb of my very own.
  3. But of course you'd really should have a very extended play of each before making up your mind.
    What kind of sound are you after?
    My musicman is more boomy but the notes arent as clear or defined.
    The corvette standard has a really nice growl, it's not as full on as the growl on the Thumb though. The corvette I palyed had a more 'crisp' sound than the musicman but still had great attack.
    I just love the woods the 'wicks are made of, makes all the difference to the tone.
  4. Right now, I'm really getting into the music I always end up going back to. I tend to listen to ALOT of different stuff, and I always end back up popping in Zebrahead, Staind, or Static-X back into my CD player after my "genre change of the month."

So, couple that with the drive to start a band, and a few bucks, and that's what I'm shooting for. I guess I just really need to get on down to Bass Central or Guitar Center, and find my tone. However, I think even that will still leave me stuck with the choice.

5. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Of an owner of a Sterling.. I'd say go Warwick. My Sterling can sound allright in heavier music, but Warwicks just do it best IMO.
  6. Yeah, if your going to play with guitarists who use a lot of distortion i'd say the Warwick. They cut through the mix a lot more in my opinion.
    I own a stingray and although it's good to beef up a mix it's not that great cutting through.
    I can never find a good mid-range sound that i'm 100% happy with.
    Were as a bubinga bodied Warwick has that beautiful mid-growl.

But, there will probably be 50000 people who would argue otherwise.

Especially when speaking about Warwicks. It seems you either love them or hate them. Tarditional bass players seem not to like them. I love everything about them, a very unique brand.
  7. full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Depends on what you plan to do with it. I found that the music mans sound better in the recording studio but the warwicks sound better live. I don't do any professional recording so my vote would be for the warwick but your situtation may be different.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just buy a bass and play. I've always found I manage to make every bass I play sound pretty much the same no matter what it is.
  9. full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    wow that must suck! :bawl:
  10. jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    Corvette all the way. They kick serious ass. try to find one with bulbinga wood if you can i personally like those more. But thats my opinion. Peace
  11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    A MM can still cut pretty hard, especially if you're playing with a pick. If you are slapping or tapping the Warwick may be more effective. I would choose whichever bass felt better to me, you're talking about two very different instruments with two very different feels. Sound and looks may be a toss-up, but one of these basses may feel alot better to you than the other. Of course if you want some pretty serious gas check out a Sandberg Ken Taylor 6, it's going to cost you a bit more jingle though.
  12. Always. :bassist:

And don't limit yourself to Guitar Center, if other places have the basses... You're not required to buy it there, but it's free to test them out. I played a Warwick fretless before getting one on line, and it really sold me. Got to try one out, and then went looking and found the price I wanted to pay. Haven't regretted it since. ;)