beaver felton

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Sep 6, 2000.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    any one know who he has played for..?? or what band he is on now? i see alot about him but dont have any clue
  2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I don't know, but what a cool name... great for jokes:

(Some girl recognizes him at a bar) "OOOH, I love your music..."
    (And he responds) "So when was the last time you had your ::enter his name here, I'm afraid to get kicked off::"

:oops: :eek:

Okay, I'm in trouble

[Edited by rojo412 on 09-07-2000 at 11:25 PM]
  3. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    lmao atleast i got one reply.. haha
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don' know much about him either - except I read an article about him a few years back....
    I don't think he tours much because of his handicap (he's paralysed from his waist down). But he does obviously quite well w/ his educational stuff and the shop he runs w/ Dave LaRue
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ah ha!

Something I can actually answer here: I KNOW Beaver! :D

Yes, he's paralyzed from the mid-chest (actually) down, from a bus accident. He was in a band (the name of which escapes me presently) that was "on the verge of being signed" back in the early 80's when the accident occured. Apparantly, it was a band bus situation, driving home or to the next gig, late at night, and the driver fell asleep at the wheel :(. The band decided that since he was going to be in a wheelchair and they were a very visual "show" kind of band, he was no longer "right" for them, so he was fired. Jerks. Justice is usually served on these types eventually, they couldn't ever replace him, never got signed, and eventually disbanded. He's actually fairly OK with his life from what I can tell talking to him about it, but it does suck in a major way.

He doesn't play in any "famous" or known bands, just some local stuff around Orlando, FL (his shop is in Maitland to be precise, for those familiar with the area). I don't think his handicap keeps him from being able to do a tour physically, but I'd imagine that he doesn't get many calls to do auditions because people don't want to deal with the appearance aspect or the added burden of touring with a wheelchair-bound musician in their band. Damn shame, because he's an INCREDIBLE bassist, and a great guy.

He's not a rich man by any account, but between the sales of his SuperChops4Bass videos, the store, teaching, and local gigs, he does ok. His store is great, and he's wonderful to work with. I've never talked to anyone who had a bad experience with him, although in all honesty I've never bought anything personally from him (not because I didn't want to, trust me, but just can't afford to :D).

I used to hang out in the store quite a bit, took lessons from LaRue there, in addition to just stopping by to "hang" with Beaver pretty regularly. He'd get me to help re-arrange stuff on the walls from time to time (kinda hard to move a bunch of basses around from a wheelchair :( ), and when I did he'd always toss me a set of strings or something for helping him out (not that I wanted anything, I woulda been happy to just help him, but he wouldn't take no for an answer...).

Quick anecdote about the Beav:

The first time I took a lesson from LaRue, after having spoken to both he and Beaver on the phone quite a bit, the three of us were standing outside after Dave had managed to totally blow me away for an hour, just BSing, Dave and Beaver were having a smoke (UGH). I'd made the mistake of wearing an Eric Johnson T-shirt to the lesson, although it didn't register until right about then....

In the midst of a long discussion between the three of us about bassists we admired, Beaver stopped for a second, looked at me, then turned to Dave and said:

"Y'know, I was talkin' to Gard here on the phone the other day, and he said he was really looking forward to his lesson with you, even though he thought that Eric Johnson was a WAY better guitarist than Steve..."

So, here I am, deer-in-the-headlights look plastered on my face, proudly wearing my Eric Johnson shirt.....and totally unable to speak. Fish on the side of the river, gulping for air..... :eek:

Of course, I HADN'T said anything of the sort, Beaver was just having some fun with me and my choice of attire, but......

Dave looks at me, smiles, turns to Beaver and says:

"Beaver.....shut up....." - with a big grin on his face.

That's Beaver, full-time smart@$$ as well as @$$kickin' bassist :D

Oh, and I know his REAL first name, but I won't tell, or he'll find me and kill me!!! ;) (Can you imagine a name that someone would consider worse than Beaver? :eek: )
  6. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I bought my used Geddy Lee Jazz from Beaver Felton, real nice guy to talk to, gave me a good price and the option to return it if I didn't like it. It was a pleasure doing business with him.

7. }{ead

Sep 9, 2000
    Thanks for the info on Beaver, I have been wanting to know stuff about him every since I watched his bass videos. He is like an equal to Flea or something. I wish I could meet him or talk to him he seems like a cool type of dude and VERY good at the bass. If he has an e-mail or something could you please tell me it if you know it and he doesn't mind?
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    }{ead -

You can e-mail Beaver through the Bass Central website. Don't know if he'll answer or not, but it's worth a try. If you do, tell him Gard said hey......
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    *in his best Savannah Beaver Felton accent* INDEED...

yeah, the beav is an awesome guy...I got my warwick from there...I was asking him about his Carvins and he played some over the phone for me...whoa...that dood is BAD...I still haven't sent him anything from my ship for helping me out...:eek: and u know, I was stationed right down the road from his store and I didn't even know it was there...MAN!
  10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Hey Neptoon-

You were at NTC/Orlando?!?! I used to live about 6 blocks from the main gate.......small world. :) When were you there?

And riddle me this: How could anyone in their right mind shut down NTC/Orlando and keep Great Lakes open!?!? Ever been at Great Lakes in the winter...:rolleyes:....
  11. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey Gard...yup...I was actually stationed at NNPTC...nuke school...didn't exactly pass though...:eek: I was down there from sep95 until about june96...after I got finished with nuke school, I got a job at Seminole Power Sports in Sanford...used to hang out at Enterprise 1701...and barbarella' of babes too...yup small world. And yes, Great Lakes sux...never been in the winter though...oh well...
  12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey Head, there are a LOT of people who are equal to Flea. Hes not, and nowhere near, one of the "best" bass players. :)