bebop scales

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Funkin'_Bassist, Nov 6, 2003.

1. hi Mike :)
    lots of ppl told me about the bebop scales and every body told me a different thing .. so could you plz tell me about them ( including the dominant bebop ) ..

another thing :D
    I saw a video for billy sheehan and he was talking about how ppl are so concerned about scales .. he was playing on a harmonic minor and he said he didn't know what scales was he playing on .. is it just coz he is a rocker and not a jazzist ? .. or it's really not that important to know scales after certian level of feeling the notes ..
    thx for yer time
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    There are 4 Bebop scales based on the Ionian (major), Dorian and Mixolydian modes of the major scale and the melodic minor scale. They are the tradional scale/mode with an added passing tone.

The bebop dominant scale is a mixolydian mode with a chromatic passig tone between the 7 and the root (therefore - the natural 7)

The Bebop Dorian scale has the chromatic passing tone between the 3rd and 4th scale tones

The Bebop major scale has the chromatic passing tone between the 5th and 6th scale tones

Finally, the Bebop Melodic Minor scale is the meldoic minor scale with the passing tone between the 5th and 6th degress.

I think that you need to know it, only if to be able to talk intellegently about it. It also helps to be able to give a name to something that you hear or play.

I also think that Sheehan REALLY DOES KNOW IT. He knows his jazz, beleive me!

3. Ha, its funny because Sheehan insists that, although people don't believe him, he knows next to none of the theory. My opinion is that he probably knows what to do for jazz and rock in many situations and knows what works, either from his experience or hearing/watching others do it. I just think he hasn't formally learned the stuff so he thinks he doesn't know it. He still denies it though. :p
  4. I know that Sheehan can play well tempered clavier pieces on his bass as well as other Bach works. He says that he can't read music, so he must have good aural skills to play all that Baroque.
  5. well considering he figured out a bunch of scales, modes and how to apply them to songs, along with a bunch of on the spot stuff during tons of live performances, I'm sure he has perfect pitch...I mean, after that long, without really learning much theory and playing that well...he has to. I didn't know he did all that stuff. Any recordings?