Because I feel like I need to say it...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by emor, Nov 30, 2004.

1. emor

May 16, 2004
    I think that there is nothing quite so discouraging than seeing wasted potential.

I saw an old friend this last weekend with whom I had lost contact over the last 18 years.
    I had known him since the third grade and had played music with him in high school and into early adulthood.
    What I saw when I met up with him again this weekend was a man ravaged by a life of depression, substance abuse and bad life decisions.

This encounter comes on the heels of my recent reading of the tragic Jaco Pastorius biography. While my friend didn't possess the musical genius of Jaco, (I mean, who does?), he was a talented and accomplished musician with a lot of ambition; there are parallels to the Jaco story that are strikingly similar.

He has recently taken up music again, I think in an effort to feel alive once more, but there is so much crap going on in his head and his life that I have my doubts that he can find his way back. I'm not sure that there is anything I can do at this late date to help. As I get older I find that just keeping my own life on the rails is responsibility enough.

However, by relating this experience, I'm hoping it might help someone else. I know that there are many younger people here that are just beginning to make important choices in their lives. My advice, for whatever it is worth, is to try to be thoughtful in those choices. You have your whole life ahead of you, but 20 years will go by seemingly in an instant. One bad (or good) decision you make now can affect the rest of your life. Your happiness and potential lie in your own hands.

Take care of yourself--physically, mentally and spiritually. If you suffer from depression, or have a drug or alcohol problem, get some help now. Most places have some kind of community mental health program. Consult the blue pages of your local phone book under "Helpful Numbers".

Thanks for listening.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1 dude

listen up kids!!

fortunately, although it takes a lot of effort, it is possible to make radical life changes and make the best use of the time you have left no matter what your age.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    when i was 17 i hooked up with a coupla of the kind of people your mom don't really want you hanging out with. they became my band, the team, for 7 years. the drummer was probably the best drummer i've ever played with to date. he was also a master mechanic. he built racing cars that beat all the cars in the neighborhood, from scratch. he was, believe it or not, a pretty nice guy too. he helped me discover the wonder of drugs and alcohol. somehow i found a way out. he didn't.... this is how his story ended...