Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beck & No Bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Hambone, Oct 6, 2000.

1. I just added an interesting little CD to my collection "Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop". The lineup is Jeff of course with Tony Hymas on keys and synthesizer and Terry Bozzio on drums and percussion. No bassist. This is a great jam CD for a bassist because there is only a bare minimum being pumped out by Hymas. You can easily catch the groove and work along without clashing with a recorded bass line. And of course Jeff's work is utterly amazing, even more so for a guy that doesn't read music and essentially does everything by ear.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I bought that cd as soon as it came out; I was a little surprised at the trio minus a bassist line-up. I, too, thought Hymas would be heavy on the organ's bass pedals.
    I may have to re-visit that album 'cause it's been awhile since I've played it.

*Trivia alert*
    Next time cable airs TWINS(the movie), check out the band in the bar scene w/ Arnold & DeVito...it's Beck, Bozzio, Hymas, + Nicolette Larsen(vocals...RIP) & a female bassist(her name escapes me).

3. Yeah, I think Jeff Beck's bands from the last couple of decades are the closest to what I would want a group of my own to be. "Wired" keeps me interested to this day. I am learning material from "There and Back" and that's even harder than "Guitar Shop". Since the bass lines are all sythesized on the first side by Jan Hammer, they are extremely fast and repetitive. It just makes my hands burn trying to keep up.

4. I really love "Wired" and "There and Back". In a band I was in awhile back we did "Led Boots" and a version of Beck's cover of "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat". Those were always fun to play. It's been a long time since I listened to "Guitar Shop". I gonna have to borrow that from my brother.

5. how about his new album "WHO ELSE?"
    i love it
    good cruising music
    beck on top of techno grooves

with some great solid bass