1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beck on Jools Holland

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by tightbidness, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Hi Justin,

Concert.tv is currently running a best of Beck from Later with Jools Holland. It's a blast watching you play and seeing what you bring to the Odelay and Midnite Vultures bands. Your presence elevates those performances. Great stuff.

Best,
    Seth

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Damn, thanks man. Glory days for sure. Playing on Jools was a huge career highlight.

JMJ

3. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I saw that as well! Very cool performance!

Although I must say, you made some hair product company very, very happy. :p

-Mark

4. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    ahaha. Justin is that hair look like that naturally, or do you have to work on it?

5. GBlake

GBlake

Sep 28, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I got a chance to watch it today, and the mixes are way clearer than I expected they would be. Could you tell us what a Bassist/Music Director can expect when they walk on that soundstage and how the performance is tracked musically? Thanks!

6. GBlake

GBlake

Sep 28, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    p.s. is that a Coronado II? It sounds amaaaazing.

7. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    It's tracked just like a gig; standard mic complement on everything, they probably use ProTools, or something similar. I don't remember ever approaching Jools differently than a show, I guess. There's a bit more pressure and tension to have things come off more correct and tight, but it's minor...you kind of just get into the enjoyment of the circumstance.

If you see a green hollowbody, it's a Coronado II, yes.

Best,
    JMJ

8. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    The hair thing must be a trade secret. ;)

Love you just tossing the maracas upstage over your shoulder during Devil's Haircut! :D

-Mark

9. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    I don't see that stuff on their website...I presume it's on regular television?

10. GBlake

GBlake

Sep 28, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I couldn't find it on concert.tv either, but I did find a gnarly performance of Tropicala in Portugal. I would love to see your passport stamps with all artists and tours you work with!
    I saw "Beck - Best Of Later With Jools Holland" on-demand on comcast digital cable under music then concert tv.

p.s. have you and Beck ever had a dance-off?

11. Comcast Cable On Demand under Music>concert.tv

I'd love to see some of the old SNL Beck performances too.

12. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    most of those snl ones are on youtube, but i cant find any of the Jools ones with Justin on youtube.