Beck's new CD, "Guero"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Thee, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA

So, who's heard it?

Okay, I'm a pretty big beck fan, odelay is on my top 10 albums of all time, so, this new one..... hmmmm.....

It reminds me a lot of mutations, maybe mixed with a little midnite vultures, and just a little bit of sea change.

I don't know, sometimes I think the writing is a little tired, but having said that, there's quite a few songs on it I really dig, namely "Earthquake Weather," "Broken Drum," "Girl," and probably "Farewell Ride" is my favorite. Sounds like a mellow gold/waits-esque track.

I think it's better than mutations, but since that's also, I feel, his weakest release, so who knows.

And if you were scared off by those remix tracks on that EP he released, the originals are much better, I think.
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I haven't heard it, but it's funny that your review mentions it being an amalgamation of all of Beck's post-Odelay albums; as most of the reviews I've read have talked about this being a sequel, or return, to Odelay.
  3. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Oh. That would be a damnded lie then.

I usually associate odelay with heavy sampling and an unusal amount of nonsense lyrics. He's using normal, real, instrumentation and synth filters on some things for most of it.

Pretty much only "Que' Onda Guero" is the only real strong odelay-ish track I can point out.
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I still think Mellow Gold was his best.

" a giant dildo crushing the sun...."
  5. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles

yeah man

How about

"I got a job makin' money for the man, throwin' chicken in a bucket with a soda pop can..."
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    "puke green uniform on my back I had to set it on fire in a vat of chicken fat..."

That was a strong album indeed. I got to see him in concert around that time with Truman's Water opening. Honestly I didn't even realize at the time that "Loser" was a "hit." I just liked the CD that a friend turned me onto and went and saw him.

I like all of his albums. I was just listening to "One foot in the grave" the other day. That kind of music is what I've been in the mood for lately..

Nicotine and Gravy off of Midnite Vultures is one of my favorite songs of his. The way it kind of morphs from this electro-soul-rap thing into some kind of Indian pop song is genius.

Mutations is good but I have to be in the right mood. Nobody's Fault But My Own is a great song.

I haven't heard anything about this new one.

One of my favorite albums of all time is an album called "1956" by Soul Junk. They are their own unique creation but there is most definitely some Beck influence in there. Coincidentally, the founder of Soul Junk used to be in Truman's Water.

brad cook
  7. The sticker on the case that claimed "good as anything on Odelay" shoulda been a sign to anyone. They obviously wanna market it as the second coming of Odelay, when it simply isn't. It's an amalgamation of everything he's done already. I find the record enjoyable, but also uninspired. Like a lateral step instead of a progression.
  8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Beck is not what I remember it being, this is sadness :(.
  9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Que Ondo Guera is one of the few cuts I've heard off this album, (title cut, I s'pose?) and my impression is that Beck has run out of musical personas, but he hasn't run out of great muisc... :cool:
  10. I think its great, Black Tambourine is my current fav, but that will probaly change soon.
  11. I think Mellowgold is my least favorite album of his, by far. To be honest, Mutations could be my favorite Beck album. I'm not sure, really. I haven't heard this new one, with the exception of the new single, which is pretty cool in my book.
  12. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Haven't heard the new one, sort of lost hope after Mutations came out. I can't believe nobody mentioned Stereopathetic Soulmanure! I love that disc. Jagermeister Pie, Rollins Power Sauce, Satan Gave me a Taco, One Foot in the Grave, Today as been a F###ed up Day - crazy songs.
  13. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    I think it is cool as Sh**. Dig the Dust Brothers influence and the latin(esque) beats and such. Don't know how people would compare it to Odelay. Some exec. I am sure, for marketing. Whatever. Groovin, and I needed some thats for sure. Still love Sea Change though. I have really come to admire and respect Beck over the past couple years. Good album in my book. Love the slide dobro/guitar stuff.