Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

becoming a a fretted6erfan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fretless5verfan, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I'm gonna be getting a six string bass pretty soon (hopefully). I'm in a progressive rock band (much like DT but less offensive ;) ). I'm trying to decide between getting a new peavy cirrus 6 and a used modulus Q6 sweet spot. my main concern is that i want something that can cut through my two guitarists if the need be. i played both and liked both, but it was a while ago before i really knew what sound i was going for. and they both felt pretty comfortable as well, being that im used to playin a 5 string. a tad bit of feedback would be greatly appriciated.:D

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Theres a modulus thread here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56465

And Embellisher has a Cirrus.

IMO any carbon fibre neck bass has a certain amount of 'cut'. I have not gigged with a moudulus but I have played one side by side with my Musicman Stringray 5 (which will cut through two guitars) and it was just as aggressive.

3. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I say go for either! You wouldn't be sorry with either bass. I have a Cirrus 6 and it's very nice. I guess it's up to you which sound you like better. -Luke

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My two cents, having played both:

Modulus. Hands down.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you know, you'll hear it a lot, but it's really true. you need to play the instrument and see how you like it. :D

6. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    yea i know, ive tried both and liked both. the problem is i cant bring them both home and play them in my band for a week to see if they'll do. thats y i need the help. ive done all the footwork:p

by the way versitile residue is very cool

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You really can't go wrong with either. I love my Cirrus 6. But Modulus makes great basses too.

Buy from a store that has a return policy. If the first one isn't right for you, take it back and buy the other one.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, thank you very much :D glad you dug it.

try this one... (fretless 7 on this one...)

http://lordonly.net/Mp3s/Fear-LordOnly.mp3

as for bringing them home and trying them out, you should talk to the guys running the store, see if they will let you try them out. there are stores with return policies, like what embellisher suggested.

9. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    ahh also very cool, didnt expect the vocals:D you really put that monster bass through its paces!

10. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    oh, im gonna check with store about the tryout thing for the cirrus, but the modulus id be getting used from a tber (BIGREDSIX) I'm gonna have a hard time convincing him to ship it to me to test it out :D