Becoming a Band, What do i do?!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassopotomus_2, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Hey everyone.. thanx for reading my post :p

Straight to the point..

Me and a few friends want to become a band.. well nothing big for now, just practise together, and hopefully come up with something to get gigs.ect

Sounds fine? well.. the problem is.. We dont know were to start. We have:

A singer, 3 guitarist (maybe not all needed), a bassist (me :D), drummer, and maybe a DJ (v.unsure)

We are not botherd about a particular music style, i for one, dont mind either way, Funky Rock, Jazzy Metal, Hardcore, Punkcore, Metalcore, Applecore, whatever the ****.. we dont really care.

What we are certain on.. is we wanna create something new.. basicly we dont wanna be like another band, we want to try create a style of our own. For example, A mix of Death Metal and Funk.
    Or maybe jazzed up punk.. anything like that.

Ok, well we have all that sorted, now all we need to know is were to start? How do we become a band? How do we go about it? And what sort of things do we have coming at us.

Thanx alot, all replise will be appriciated :D

2. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I'd say gather everyone you can out of the 7 you mentioned. Cram yourself into a room with a P.A. and everyone's gear. Then play. This works best if at least 1 band member has written some songs, or if you could start out with a cover that someone knows.

I think the only way to "become" a band is play together, hang out, and generally get to know these people as best you can. I'm assuming you aren't starting a cover band, so make sure to have songs ready if you write. And have a little fun while your at it.
  3. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    ha, i know how you feel. i want to get a band started, and we don't really know how to go about doing it. so we decided to learn a few songs (rock you like a hurricane, play that funky music, and the charlie brown theme... what a mix, LoL). and then just play. and mess around, come up with a cool riff and let everyone join in on their instrument. and after a few practices u might have a song put together, or a few covers down. have fun =)
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nails and Contra have it down pretty much. You just gotta let it flow, and hope to God (or deity of choice) that you can all jive enough to rock out. My only advice: don't TRY to be diffenent. If you play music, and it comes out easily definable, so be it. If it's decidedly left of center, good. But, don't thinking and saying "well, no, that too (insert music here)...make it weirder, stranger" ect. Just let it come. It helps to have seriouly messed up people as well. :D
  5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I second Brendan's motion for messed up people.

Some of us should be at your house right
  6. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    we just started a band and we have a guitarist who's really serios, a drummer who is also a comedian, a "normal guitarist, and a psyco bass player (me :D). We seem to be getting along fine, we've written a ton of songs in the three months that we've been together, and our first gig is in march. things are working out fine for us, i hope they do the same for you. now if we could only get a name..... :D
  7. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I would say get together and come up with a dozen songs or so that you all can semi-sort-of agree on - put it all together on one CD and distribute copies to the group. Give 2 wks or so for everyone to work on their parts, then let er rip in a jam session. See what happens. In many cases, even cover songs come out sounding like you as much as the original artist. Keep going. Creativity will hopefully kick in and you can start adding new material (or more covers) to expand. If you want to go all original, you can weed the cover songs out later as you get more and more original tunes.

After a while, you'll probably know if the thing is going to fly and all. The chemistry of the group is nearly as important as the quality of the music. When you think you're ready, get as many of your friends together for a "friends of the band party" to get exposure playing in front of a crowd (assuming you have friends, that is :D ) If things go well and you guys keep it together, the gigs will start coming. They may be small at first, but there's nothing wrong with that...
  8. Jam together.
    Drink together.
    Swear and cuss together.

I reckon, don't try and get everyone in at once.
    Start slowly with a small "core" :D of players who are comfortable jamming.
    Jam anything you can, from covers to ad-libbed BS to ideas that anyone has.
    The initial "core" should be able to (in a perfect world, and with the right people) gel well enough to start finding their own "sound". Once the players are on the same wavelength (mentally more'n musically), one member should be able to table an idea that the others can jam around until it takes hold.
    Once the core has found where they want to go, think about what other elements will/might be required. Then start drafting in others to fill in the holes.

IMO, the easiest and least stressfull way of banding up is to be comfortable with each other completely outside of the musical arena before you make a serious start. You don't really want to work hard slog to get there and find at the crucial moment(s) that personality clashes unravel the work so far...

A good band is a family, a close-knit unit that, while made up of separate entities, should be viewed as one.
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

One fundamental step is to set an initial goal for yourselves. By that I mean;

- What kind of gig do you want to get? club? party? what level do you see yourselves playing at for starters?

- Check out the competition that is already playing at that level.

Too often fledgling bands shoot too high initially, land a gig that gets them in over their heads, the crowd reacts poorly, the band members decide they must suck, and before you know it they're breaking up. All they really needed were some easier gigs that would let them develop.

I not saying aim low. Make it a challenge but keep it realistic.