1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Becoming a bass/guitar luthier

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fryBASS, Nov 7, 2006.

1. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    I'm really interested in becoming a bass guitar / guitar luthier someday. It seems like something I'd be really interested in doing.
    I just look at those Conklins and CT's and just say "wow, I really wanna make something like that."

Where would you start? Where would you learn everything you need to know? Is there some kind of guitar building school?

I'm only 15, so I have a long ways to go, but I really think it's something I'd like doing.

Hey, people always say to have a fall back job from bass playing, so why not build them if your not playing? :smug:

2. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    do you want the luthiery to be your fall back job? or will you have a fall back job when you're not building?

i would hazard a guess that most luthiers are not driving around in ferraris and lamborghinis. so you might want to study the financial aspects of luthiery.

3. A friend of mine is doing guitar building at university in edinburgh i believe, so im guessing there will be courses in doing it state-side.

Its pretty impressive, ive seen the accoustic he made, and wow!

4. Check out the Luthier's Corner in the "Ask A Pro" section. Great guys in there.

5. luthiery is rewarding, but not in a financial sense

6. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I'm just a year older, and I started my first at 15 with no woodworking experience (search 'Concordis" in the Luthier's Corner). I hope to continue building in the future and sell them to fund this expensive hobby. I'm working on a second one now, and I should be buying all of the wood this Saturday.

+1

7. I too would absolutely love to be a luthierm, but apparently it's pretty difficult to make a living doing it.
    I started an identical thread a while ago and the basic idea was that it's just as difficult to make a living doing this as it is to make a living playing bass.
    So if you have the money and the means to do it, take the classes and see where it takes you.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021