Becoming a better soloist.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Alan Vorse, Mar 3, 2006.

1. While my ensemble and groove playing continue to improve, I have to say I'm not entirely happy with my soloing.

I have spent the last year studying harmony, doing some transcribing and working on playing more melodic ideas in general. While I can see a marked improvement from a year ago, I'm having a hard time getting what I hear in my head to translate to the hands while improvising on stage (I guess I should mention that I played mostly in rock bands for the last 10 years and now am in an improvising band where I get 4 solos a night).

What work has to be done to develop this? Is it something that comes with time?
  2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
  3. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Listen, listen, listen.
  4. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Learning melodies is a good one. The scaffolding for constructing melodies is scales and modes.
  5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Scaffolding? How about concrete and rebar? :D
  6. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Pick up the Charlie Parker Omnibook for C instruments. Working through those is great for getting your teeth into those harmonies, and it'll make your chops crazy good.
  7. Wear a cape, your solos will rock soo much harder. Trust me.
  8. Is there a book I can get for that?:rolleyes:
  9. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    He's right, that was interesting diction (word choice).
  10. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Cheers Scott.

I also like the term "framework".
  11. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005

it worked for me!
  12. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Videotape every performance and keeping working on your "bass face." :ninja:

Is it something that comes with time?

When I was grappling with this a teacher told me to sing every line and try to play it until I could interchange singing and playing at will. This had the side benefit of getting me to eventually sing on stage as well. Ermmm...maybe not such a benefit for the audience, but...:cool: But the idea is to get what's in your head realized as audible sound, by whatever means you can. Eventually you can hopefully cut out that step, but it's served me very well.
  13. True dat, double true!
  14. kragen

Jul 4, 2005
    Would the "Charlie Parker Omnibook Bass Clef Edition" be a better bet? (there are about 5 different versions - are they literlly just the same things transposed?)

Also, Reading the tips in Todd Johnson's forum... This may seem like a stupid question (well it is a stupid question), but what is the melody? :S :p
  15. I would like to thank everybody who DIDN'T suggest wearing a cape.
  16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Effects. Chorus, distortion, wah. If you can't play it, just muddy it up till it sounds good.

17. Like Michael Anthony?;)