1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Becoming a P-Bass addict; over my Jazz!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CLMSHQ, Oct 4, 2009.

1. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    I started buying Fender Jazzes after switching from Carvin 5's.

I love the Fender brand and am addicted to their looks and feel. I have a very nice 08' MIA Jazz that feels great, BUT, I am now addicted to the P-Bass...Here we go again.

Has anyone had the same dilema, going nuts over P-basses feel, ease of dialing sound, and the love of the sound of Flats on a P-Bass....HELP before I sell/trade off my Jazz:atoz:

I have a Squier 60's CV P that I can't stop playing!

2. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I go back and forth. When I settle into a rut with one, I switch and it's like discovering an old girlfriend who lost 15 lbs and gotten a boob job.

3. TheJerk

TheJerk

Sep 6, 2009
    I'm kind of where you're at.

I bought a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz about 4-5 months ago. I've been playing it quite a bit and don't really have any negative to say about it. The output is a bit lower then some basses, and it's not a light bass, but other then that I really like the tone and the quality of the bass is good, although of course a few parts could be upgraded for a better sound.

But here eveybody talks about P-basses. I've heard really good things about them, especially the 1950s Precision (roadworn or not) which I would love to be able to afford.

So a few weeks ago I went to a music store to check them out. I didn't try a MIA or 1950s roadworn because they're simply out of my price range. However I did try a MIM P, and a Squire CV 1950s. The MIM underwhelmed me, however the Squire was an incredible instrument for the money. I know it's not the most sturdy bass on the market, or that it has the best parts, however soundwise it just blew me away.

I'm seriously considering picking one up, and they're very cheap as well. The only thing is that the same store has some serious sales on their bases, however, I think I've probably been swayed by the passive, p-bass sound.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Its nice to have both. There are some things a Jazz can do that a Precision bass cannot. Both are wonderful instruments, and industry standards for a reason!

5. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have just gone through the same thing...I have been playing Lakland JO5's...and then I messed up and bought a Lakland BG4....I can't put it down now. I find myself adjusting and fiddling with the controls on my JO5, but with the Glaub, I set it and forget about it.

6. phall2112

phall2112

Dec 31, 2008
    Ive been a jazz guy for years. but my buddy just brought over his MIA Pbass. and i couldnt put it down. It was so warm and fat sounding. I want one now.

7. Roger Haworth

Roger Haworth

Mar 31, 2005
    I've had the same problem recently, and wrote about it here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586487

I got a P earlier this year, a Steve Harris with heavy gauge flatwounds and it sounds so big and fat. It is brilliant and does a job that none of my other basses do. Love it, and the Jazz but am back on the Ricky for now!!

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I actually just got over the early stages of this..

I now have 2 Ps, and wouldnt mind a 3rd.

9. jbassbob

jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    For now I'm in the same boat. I still love my J but, I seem to gravitate to my Precision most often these days. Hmm... how to change my name ;)

10. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I just became a P guy after owning Stingrays. I love them both, but the huge thump and grind of the P bass has really taken me.

I never could do the Jazz bass thing personally. I can't get the sound to project in a band, and the skinny neck cramps my hands like crazy.

11. ^
    This, and how true.

Over the course of this past summer alone, I whittled my substantial P-Bass collection down to two, and my Jazzes up to around 10.

It is like you've rediscovered the instrument.

For two guitars that have such a common lineage, designed by the same company, they even look pretty close to the same, the diversity in tonal possibilites, feel, and playability is immense. The subtle differences make a huge impact.

12. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    I have 2 P's & 2 J's and go back & forth all the time.

I think its time for a Hybred, P body with a P/J pick up & a J neck. Let me see how that fits into the mix.

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I always played P basses.

Was never sucked into the J bass thing.

When you already have the hottest girlfriend in town, some other girl, minus 15 pounds and a boob job doesn't have that much appeal. :)

14. i actually prefer the feel of the jazz neck, but the sound of the precision

15. specifically the geddy lee with the vintage style super slim neck

16. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Jazz=thin for me.
    P=really thick, but not quite enough clarity for some stuff.
    P/J=very good mix of cutting and deepness.
    HH=the most perfect to what I want so far.

17. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I owned a Geddy, and switched to my P.

I missed the Geddy for about 37 seconds.

18. Hmmm, trade/sell a Jazz...what is it?

19. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    A jazz for me, I can't deal with the huge honking neck on a P.

Solution: Dingwall Super PJ. Supermodel hot looks and slim, sexy feel. She never had any extra pounds to lose at 8 and a pinch. Fanned frets, tons of active eq horse power, and right in the sweet spot: A killer P pick up.

A Ferrari disguised as a souped up Fender.

Passive, it does all the P stuff, active goes beyond.

That Jazz? Sold her in the TB looking for love ads.

20. I never owned a Geddy, but I've played it and i really like the feel of the neck. For me the G&L SB-2 is the way to go. It's like the best of a P/J made better imho.