Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Becoming a Pro. An email exchange with my Father.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jul 13, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    What folllows is an email exchange with my Father. I think you'll find it very interesting as it has a Pro musician, my father has been a pro 25 years, giving advice to his son. I thought i should post it on TB because it is full of good advice for people like me, which I am sure alot of TBers are.. aspiring musicians.

Read it and express what you think about what he says.

Here it goes!

Hi Dad,

Here is a classified ad I wrote to try and start a band where i can make money and have fun:

Want to be in a band that plays steady paid gigs? Want to have fun? Want to be in a band that has a strong vision and focus? Want

to be in a band that has an AWESOME setlist which is upbeat and very danceable? Hi, I am the founder and bass player for "One Awesome

Inch." This band is being formed now and needs players. One Awesome Inch is a Classic Rock (mainly) COVER band and its primary objective

is to make money and have alot of fun doing it.

Positions available:
    *talented lead singer with great range and who isnt shy with the audience (rythm guitar is a big plus, but not necessary)
    *skilled lead guitar player (you dont have to be hendrix, but you have to be able to lay down a good solo)
    *solid rythm guitar player with good backup vocals
    *a drummer who has very good timing and decent technique

The fundamental goal will be to land paid gigs. Cover bands are much more successful at this. People want to hear what they know.

The main objective is to enable people to enjoy themselves, which for a large part means they want to dance. In order to get people

dancing the songs have to be upbeat and danceable. Here is my logic: women love to dance > play songs that they can dance to > men follow

the women onto the dance floor > people having fun and getting thirsty are apt to drink lots of beer > bar owner (etc.) sees lots of

people on the dance floor, sees beer being consumed, thinks "this band is good.. I should hire them again." Band gets paid and has fun.

What could be better than that?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

No druggies, egos, or psychos please!

what do you think?

I have decided that in order to meet my goals (playing in a regularly paid gigging band) i really have to take things into my own hands which means starting my own band. I am not quitting the Thought Police. But i want the freedom to feel like yes, i am the bandleader and I will provide the direction for the band. i dont want to have debates with band members about what songs we do or what instrumentation we choose. greg and our drummer are not really in favour of doing a 3 song demo cd b/c they think we can get by without one. well, i dont agree. Thats why i need to have the freedom to provide a direction for the band without debating the issue. I believe that every "team" needs a quaterback to lead them to success. otherwise you have lack of focus and you dont really go anywhere.

If i could play two paid gigs a month I would be happy (every saturday night i would be ecstatic!). I think starting my own band is the best way to achieve my goals.

ttyl

Hi Torin

re band leadership: if you pay you lead. hustle the gigs so that you're the one collecting the bread from the venue and putting it in the bandmembers hands. then it's your band. like running a small business u get the contracts to keep your company afloat and keep your employees working. as leader u have the priviledge to provide direction in terms of arrangements, mixing, etc. Do u have the skill and experience to do this? there's no point in assembling a group of workers if there's no place to work. Of course i can help you with this when you're ready...........
    i think your ad is very impressive. will likely attract a lotta pros looking for work. i know that u r anxious to be a pro and get paid for your work. what is a pro? a professional anything is to 'profess' to have such knowledge /skill that you r worthy of being paid for it. a pro can walk into a band of his preferred genre/s and as long as they play the standards he can sound like he's been with them all along.
    there r certain steps necessary to becoming a professional musician. step one is 'master your instrument'. i strongly recommend that you learn to play conventional bass. every instrument has painfull idiosynchracies. once you work thru the pain u r on your way to master the instrument. cheats and tricks r fun and interesting but if u wanna be a pro u gotta do it right. don't skip step one. you acknowledge that your playing is no where near pro level and then you make an ad looking for pro musicians and talk paid gigs. some kind of contradiction here. i think u r getting ahead of yourself my son. you never want to sell an empty box.
    step 2 is aquire the proper equipment which you've already done. that's actually the easiest step lol. when i was drumming in dads band the guitar/vocals guy owned a construction company so he could afford superduper top o the line equipment worth huge money. he was a rather poor guitarist and even worse as a singer. sang off time so i'd have to stop and start again to get back in time with him cause he wouldn't be told that the drums r the time keeper and the whole band should follow the drums. yet dad kept him on cause of his gear plus he was never late, didn't get drunk etc.
    step 3 is knowledge/experience as i suggested months ago. this is where u learn what is acceptible and what is not, which songs have become standards in their respective genre, where you hone your ability to just sit in without a stack of charts etc.
    check tabloid local papers to find out which pubs have jam sessions. i know it's a lotta work but it's essential that you gain experience playing in public with a variety of musicians and styles. jam with as many bands as possible. as you've mentioned there will be some situations where u can just bring your bass and play along without having to haul yer gear over. this way u get the experience and no one gets hurt. sorta like free trial software. there's even a small chance of employment possibilties ie a band needs a bass and you get the job just cause you happen to be there. one warning: you've got pro gear so never set it down. it will get ripped off in a flash as soon as your back is turned . you're there to play so that's all you do. if you have to piss, hide it in its case and then ask a member of the band in charge to watch it for you and make it fast.
    and the final step 4 ; after you can play your instrument in a respectable fashion, have the pro gear, and have the experience to walk in a club whose bass didn't show up and just sit in with the band; now you're ready to hustle. and hustle with confidence cause u really are a pro! a pro knows that when u stop looking for work, the work u currently have runs out and then u have nothing. so a professional musician is constantly on the hustle to keep himself booked ahead. i used to say part of a musicians job is looking for a job. stop that part of it and the other part soon dries up. you're only a pro if someone pays u for your skill so to remain a pro u always have to be working and that is final step 4; get out and hustle.
    lots of people (specially youth) think how glorious to be a pro musician. they don't realize that in order for it to be a job you have to treat it like a job and really it's a tonna work requiring a great deal of self discipline. they see 3 or 4 hours a night in a bar for decent money but they don't see the countless hours upon hours spent on steps 1,2,3, and 4.

you know i love you
    and you can count on me to give you the straight goods.
    no one can deny that you have the talent
    our family gift has been passed on to you
    so don't ever doubt yourself
    but don't gloss over the work involved
    to use your talent as you propose

end of part 1

2. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    (In this email my words are in black, my dad's are in red.)

Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts. I agree with everything you said 100%. It could take me 10 years to be a pro in the sense that you explain it. To learn a song well it takes me about 2 hours of playing it over and over again. Once I develop the muscle memory I have it but I still make the odd mistake, especially if I havent warmed up. I dont want to sell myself short but I honestly dont think I have that much talent.not a question of talent rather it is relentless diligent practise Most of what I have accomplished is thru hard work. There are no shortcuts, but I am sure you know that. which is why i described the 4 general steps necessary. to skip a step is like trying to take a shortcut. imagine your a teacher and someone walks in claiming to be a pro and offers to sub if you'd like a day off. then you find out that has no diploma because he knew studying all those courses would take years so why not just present himself as a pro right now? after all he's wearing a suit and has a good laptop and he can tell em 1 + 1 = 2. When i was taking classical guitar in High School often the following would happen. The teacher hands the class the new piece to learn. Some guys have it in like 5 minutes (talented) others have it in about 45 minutes (marginally talented) others are still trying to tune the guitar (no talent). I am in the second group. It doesnt come easy to me, but with effort I can get it. the proof that you have the talent. your talent needs to be developed. you are the proverbial 'diamond in the rough'. you need to dig deep pull it out and make it shine. learning where to place your fingers is more of a physical/intellectual challenge. learning to 'hear' what sounds good and what doesn't is a way to exercise your talent. try 1 4 5 progressions to start as they are the easiest. learn to "hear" what the next chord is going to be. this is to develope your ear. with experience you'll learn to anticipate phrases and will have a multitude of tonalities at your disposal. experience means practise practise practise the more you do it the easier it gets and the better you sound.

I am somewhat uncombfortable when people say "oh, you are a musician." I think to myself no I just a guy who loves to play music.yep thats a musician One thing I dont get caught up in on this issue, is labels. I am no where near a pro and I know it. Frankly, I may never be. Does that mean I cant play in a straight-ahead rock band and get paid to do it? I dont think so. remember the story bout dads guitar/vocals guy? timing was terrible but never late, sober and great equipment had him making money several times a month in dads band. i was always astounded that dad kept him on but i think he was booking gigs too. As long as I can play what is intended well, I am content. If someone comes up and says "hey, man, can you guys play this song....." and I havent practiced that particular song, I wont be able to do honour the request unless I have spent the time learning it. the problem with classic rock is that you have to sound as good or better than the original or else it's thumbs down. not that you have to be a clone of the original, just that you have to sound as good or better and that's a major challenge. If I just play the root notes I could *probably* do it. again u can see here that your talent needs to be developed. you have to be able to 'hear it'As you know with guitar you can away with just playing the chords, with bass you have to know the pattern of the notes and play them with the correct rythm and timing.specially with classic rock but not so with other genres: blues, country, jazz, folk etc. this is why you need experience. as i said b4 play with as many bands as you can. dabble in all genres. if what you want to do is play music for money the more versatile you are the easier it is to find work. particularly for a bass player.To those that think bass is easy, I disagree. none of em r easy. hell even bongos made my fingers feel like sausages in no time at all.

With the Thought Police I learn about two songs a week when required. Greg knows a very large amount of songs. He probably knows 75% of the entire beatles catalogue.he's 75% of the band. Its frustrating though, b/c sometimes there are songs that come up that I think we should do and usually he agrees, but if he doesnt know it, even if he agrees to learn it, it seems to take him along time to get around to it. A part of me thinks I should be more forceful in moving the thought police in the direction I want. I am usually very agreeable when contradicting opinions come up about how we should do something. But I am thinking if I offer to put most of the effort into it and they see that my intentions are sincere things may go more the way I want them too. hmmmm if one member can carry the show on his own but no other member can then ,from a musical stand point, he pretty well is the bandleader.
    when 'cream' broke up eric clapton survived but what ever happened to jack bruce or ginger baker?

Problems I would like to address:
    - one gig in 10 months of our existance. solution: i offer to do the leg work to get paid gigs, even if greg isnt gung-ho about paid gigs.. if he doesnt want the money I'll take his share ; ) not good to sell an empty box. do u think the band is ready? or are you the sub teacher with no diploma? who skipped the steps and calls himself a pro? have you got a singer who doesn't sing off key? beleive me if you heard a band where the singer is off key you and everybody else would say " these guys are terrible. if you book now the people who hire you will never give u a second chance some day in the future when you really have a good sound. greg is the band and he sings off key. do you think he is good enough for you to sell him? i don't! as i said b4 you need a good singer preferably female. then you can fly.....

-they dont want to do a demo solution: I am more forceful in my opinion that a demo is key in landing gigs. yes, we could get by without one, but we would get alot more gigs with one. how often does a band get hired w/o being heard first? not often i bet.
    a pro uses a promo kit. next time you come over i'll show you mine.

-greg insists on only one guitar player and a keyboardist. i find this really limits our repertoire (sp?) I just have to accept this and keep looking for good songs that are danceable and have keys.

-greg wants to do more and more originals and very obsure bands like the Inspiral Carpets. If nobody has heard of the band it might as well be an original. people like what they know. one way i have heard it said.. "people dont know what they like but like what they know." yeah, that's why i made 6 CDs of covers. but when composing my own i found significant and perhaps adequate interest so there's points to note on both sides of the issue. This issue is the biggest problem. We wont land *as many* gigs as we would compared to if we only play well known, very danceable upbeat songs. the music has to be well written/arranged/mixed/performed. then people will like it whether they've heard it b4 or not. it's like saying no one will buy art unless it's a copy of the mona lisa or some other famous painting. they see it , if they like it , they buy it. same with music. it's as important that it's well written/arranged/mixed/performed as it is that they've heard it b4. and as i said then you have to compete with the original.(your version as good or better.They get people dancing and sell beer. We get hired again. Simple as that. If he is willing to compromise on this issue I could take care of / put up with the others.

Anyway enough band politics.

Now whats happening is that i have placed an ad on local classifed website. So far have got a lead singer (female 15 years experience, lead guitar and rythm guitar with backups, no drummer yet. However I just posted this ad on Sunday. I think I am getting alot of good responses b/c my ad is well thought out and logical. an excellent ad if you were a pro and could supply what the ad promises. The setlist is quite good and only going to get better. My quandry is this: if i play with people who are not pro level the band will sound not pro level. The respondents to the ad are very experienced, and while that is good because the band will sound great, I find it quite intimadating. and so you should They are older than me, more experienced than me and way better musicians than me. Of course I am not going to advertise these facts, but I cant help but worry that the sh*t is going to hit the fan when they realize that i am an intermediate level bass player. as i said in the last email a pro is constantly looking for work. so for most of these respondants it's just part of the daily business. when they realise that you're a wanna be some might be disgruntled that you wasted their time but a polished personality is also part of being a pro entertainer. i would expect most to bow out gracefully. unless you put them thru a lotta hassle such as an hours drive and a ton of equipment to haul in and set up only to find out you're a wanna be. BUT does that matter if I am hardworking, do all the bands leg work, getting gigs, demo, band organization.that kinda stuff is par for the course and likely would be expected of anyone. AND does it matter if we are playing relatively simple songs that I can handle and we are getting paid gigs? refer to my previous email. if you put the money in their hands you've got yourself a band. simple songs are better because they're fast and easiest to sound good. what you want are the standards. ( by this i mean certain songs ,usually easy fast to learn, are known by most musicians. to find these songs i can only suggest yet again that you don't skip step 3 cause that's where you learn these things. pro musicians won't be willing to spend months practising like a garage band. therein lies your real quandary. they're in it for the money since that's what being a pro is. no money no band.Thats the Billion Dollar Question. What about when one of them says "lets do this song." and I dont want to. I dont want to sound like, or be a control freak, but I started this band so that i could be in complete control and would be the uncontested band leader. Thus, I could bring the band where i want it to be and achieve my humble goals of getting paid to make music. so the sub without a diploma wants to be the principle of the school? to expect a group of professional musicians to submit to the direction of an amateur is hilarious. too funny!

step1/ master your instrument
    step2 aquire the gear
    step3 get lots and i mean lots of experience ( refer to previous email
    step4 hustle the gigs
    it looks to me like you've acheived step 2 which is the easy step but skipped step 1 & 3 and went straight to step 4.

My thinking is that this whole thing is a second job. I very much doubt it will be my sole source of income, but why not make some extra cash on the side with a paying hobby? absolutely! nothing wrong with playing it safe. Maybe after many years of doing it i will fit the proper definition of a pro.

it's hard to say how long it will take to develop your talent. depends on your time and effort. work on your 'ear' and on your 'feel' which is pretty hard to do on bass using a pick.
    developing your talent is far more important than memorizing charts.
    the stronger your talent gets the easier it will be to sit in with a band and make money.
    way less stressfull too cause now you can use your talent instead of your intellect.
    free floating with the music instead of sweating that you don't have a chart.

Comments?

3. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    wow your dad is breaking it down for you,as a 20yr+ pro i agree with him 100%.go check out his promo kit,and keep studying like he said.if you want to be a pro do it the right way

4. bass555

bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    Your Dad just hit a home run

"I said I wouldn't cry"
    :crying:

5. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    All I can say is your Dad is one smart guy. Listen to him. ;)

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Thanks for posting that exchange. Every word is great advice.

7. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    We can always count on our dad's to give us the straight goods...sometimes right between the eyes!!

It reminds me of the very old joke about the 2 bulls. Two bulls, one young and full of p!ss and vinegar, and an older bull, long in the tooth and wise, are standing on top of a hill, gazing down at the valley below where all the cows of the herd are grazing.

The young bull pipes up and says "Hey! Let's run down and f$*&% one of the cows!!!". The older bull calmly looks at him and says "Let's walk down and f$%* them all."

8. I'm not a pro either, but I agree with most of what your dad wrote, except those two parts:
    Nobody ever master an instrument. Ever. I'm pretty sure even guys like John Patitucci or Victor Wooten could tell you so.

This is not true at all. A complete bass player should learn to use both fingerstyle and pick, as well as slapping, tapping, etc. With a pick, there are sounds that you just can't get from your fingers. Also, many pros use a pick exclusively (we shouldn't have to name them all again, eh?).

Also, you don't have to be a 'pro' to get nice paying gigs, or to lead your band. It just takes dedication and of course, a minimum of musical talent.

9. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Coming from a pro bassist who has had to fight his family his entire life about being a musician/career choices I say this; Your dad is way cool and you should count yourself lucky every single day. It's a true gift to have the support of the people you care about and to have access to knowledge and experience instead of having to go through it all via trial and error. Always seize this opportunity! rock on. :bassist:

10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Just gonna throw in my $0.02.

A successful jazz guitarist (I REALLY wish I could remember his name right now) who has been playing professionally for 50 years once told me, "As a bass player, yeah, if you show up on time and can play, you WILL get work." Because there's way fewer talented, committed bass players than there are talented guitarists and drummers.

Of course, he was talking about session and jazz work. Don't know how that would apply to the whole rock field.

But +1 on that post, very good information there that I'm sure I'll find use for in the not-so-distant future (with any kind of luck).

11. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i agree totally. I am a pick player exclusively. i enjoy a pick. i use a rubber pick to get that finger sound. i know this limits my technique, but at this point this doesnt concern me. my dad is old school. bass = fingers.

further, i completely agree w/ your last paragraph. this is where my dad and i disagree. you dont have to be a pro to be in a band and make money.

yes, as a lover of music its great to have a father who loves music as well and who can give advice from his point of view.

12. This thread needs to be stickied, first of all.

Secondly.. while there is certainly nothing wrong with playing with a pick, and it's a great skill to have I can't imagine a pro bassist who isn't also skilled with fingerstyle technique. There are plenty of bandleaders out there who want a fingerstyle player, because that's what their mental image of "bass" is. Now if it's your band, that's not an issue, but it's still worth thinking about.

It sounds to me like you definitely want to make it happen, but it will require you to spend some time in the 'shed, if you know what I'm saying. Building up your skill as a player allows you to relax and just cruise through most of the stuff thrown at you - and you're most focused on the groove because of your excess of ability relative to the situation that you're in. It's like driving a 400hp around town vs a 100hp one... breathe on the former's gas pedal and it takes right off, while you're putting your foot through the firewall just to get going in the other car.

13. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I'm subscribing so I can read it later... you know, when it's not 3 AM.

14. Exactly. Many people do it.

15. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    The only thing is, the way I read it at least, you're dad is not saying you have to be a Pro to make money in a band. I believe what he is saying if you want to start and lead a band with Pro members, you better be a Pro yourself first. And I totally agree with that. Putting an Ad out that specifically targets the need for Pro players when you are not one yourself, is a mistake imho.

If you're stuck on the idea of having to be the Band's leader, than you're better off starting a new band looking for players near your own skill level. Or, if you want to become a Pro and learn to play with Pro's, audition for a Pro band looking for a bassist and gain experience there. Just my $0.02... ;)

Good luck and Have Fun! :bassist:

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1

Your dad is giving great advice. The attitude of "I think it's okay I don't know how to play with my fingers" is a pretty poor one of someone who wants to be a pro. You should never be the one asking "Is it okay if I don't learn this fundamental skill of being a professional musician?" Pick playing is fine, but as a pro, you've got to be versatile -- this means being familiar with a variety of techniques. This is kind of like when someone posted in the General Instruction forum asking if it was okay if he didn't learn how to read music.

A professional attitude is great. A demo would be a great way for your current band to get gigs, but this Greg guy seems like he's got his head in the sand -- not up for paid gigs, doesn't want another guitarist, etc. Strange fellow. Also, willing to do the leg work to get gigs and stuff is a very good thing. Good on you for this.

However, if you're putting an ad in for professional musicians and the ad itself smacks of a professional attitude, then people are probably not going to be happy when they aren't playing with a professional bassist. A good attitude is great, but if your playing can't back it up, then it's time to pull the ad and get in the woodshed.

17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    As a fingerstyle player primarily, I don't think I agree that finger playing is a "fundamental skill of being a professional musician." It's not comparable to reading music IMO. It's just a different technical way of getting a musical result. Of course there are things you can do easily with a pick that you can't do as easily or at all with your fingers, and the converse is also true. That doesn't mean that you need to use fingers and pick to be a pro. Look at the guitar world. There are plenty of professional guitarists who are demons with a pick but can't play fingerstyle to save their lives, and plenty of pro fingerstylists who are no more comfortable with a pick than they would be with a Foley catheter. They're still pros. For example, I don't know how good Steve Swallow is with his fingers. Maybe he can hardly play that way any more; maybe he's great. But I don't care. Even if he couldn't play at all fingerstyle anymore, he'd still be a great musician.

As for the "why limit yourself?" argument, in most important areas of music I think that's very true, but let me play devil's advocate for a minute here. Can't there be a reasonable reason for not learning a technique--namely, that you have no interest in ever using it? Say you hate the sound of tapping and you hate every piece of tapped bass playing you've ever heard. Why would you want to learn to tap? So that you would be ready if someone offers you a job *that you don't want to do because you hate tapping*?

I think to a large extent it depends on your individual goals. If your aim is to maximize your ability to play in any musical situation, even ones you dislike, and you anticipate having to do just that, then by all means learn any- and everything. But if your goal is more circumscribed--say, just to play stuff you like with sounds you like--then a more focused approach to technique is perfectly sensible. You don't have to practice tapping if you intend never to tap in your life and if you are unlikely to be in a situation where someone will require it of you.

18. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, first off I never stated that I really wanted to be a pro bass player. It will take a hell of alot of work, and frankly i dont know that i am up to it at this time. I would be very satisfied to be in a band that gets paid gigs. We dont have to pro level to get paid gigs as others have stated. If the band plays straight ahead rock, which is usually fairly simple, and the group is competent at that I think the band could be successful.

i have no intention of being a bass god who can tap, slap, and do triplet triad arpeggios (?). I just want to play rock and roll! I dont want to play jazz or country or folk. I know this may close alot of doors to me and be less financially viable, but this does not concern me. Why? Because 1) i am not going to be financially dependent on bass playing professionally. my whole idea is to save a large part of my gig money for retirement. in short because i am not desperate to play to pay my bills i can be choosey. if they (a potential band) think i am a hack because i play with a pick oh well. I'll just move on. if they are a**holes about it i dont want to play with them anyway. chances are that their need to find a competent bass player will be more important than whether i use fingers or a pick. ESPECIALLY considering that i use a rubber pick (wedgie.com) which sounds just like fingers in terms of tone. so the only real reason to frown on the pick is b/c of image and to do certain techniques used in funk etc which require using more than one digit. 2)In my area there are a "million" rock groups out there looking for a bass player. One of the main reasons I chose bass was because there is a shortage of bass players in the world. I see it over and over again in ads "bass player wanted". This means I can have the luxury of being choosey with who I want to play with. If i were just another guitar player I would have to be damn good to get thru an audition, this is not so true with the bass. If one is competent, shows up on time and has a good attitude, that will get a bass player fairly far compared to musicians who play other intstruments.

i didnt intend to attract pro players with that ad. i just tried to write a good ad to attract decent, competent players. its kinda funny. maybe my ad is too good? everytime i get a respondent i let them know that while i am competent, i am not a pro. this way i wont waste their time if they are looking for pros. it works better for everybody that way.

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Richard -- I stand corrected, but I still think being at least competent with both styles will open up a lot more doors than ignoring them completely. Agreed on tapping -- it's not exactly something people get called on to do too much, but there are doors in a future professional life -- some sessions, definitely some bands -- that are going to be closed by default because of a lack of ability to play fingerstyle, becasue often, that's the sound the bandleader/producer wants. This isn't a case of "if they don't accept my style, I don't want to play with them anyway" -- this is a case of a professional losing out on jobs and income because of what -- a lack of interest?