1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Becoming an instrument builder

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Mar 25, 2002.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Lately I've been daydreaming of becoming an instrument builder... I was wondering if any of you have partaked in designing and putting together your own bass/guitar and how hard you think it would be to develop it into a full-fledged hobby and maybe even turn it into a business. I drew a bass out today in Calc (shh:D ), kind of a Jazz-ish/Cirrus/PRS guitar look to it... I'll see if I can get it scanned, then you can all rip on it and bitterly kill my dreams of becoming a wannabe-luthier:p...

Dave

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You could learn to build basses. I don't think that's the tough part. The tough part is running a business well enough to make a living at it.

You're probably better off making it a hobby.;)

3. I have had a lot of fun re building basses. And I am just now getting ready to grab a slab of swampash and my router and really build a body. Its would take a lot to make a living selling hand made basses. But I bet you could do pretty well doing setups and repairs for a starting point. If you do that get bonded or insured. I know a few people who have been taken to the cleaners by a "friend" that had a problem with a bass that someone repaired.

I don't think anyone here will rip on a design unless they can give you good solid reasons that the design wouldn't play well, or would have some mechnical problem.

Other then that a design is just art, untill it becomes a really crappy bass.

Just kidding.

Here is a web site I found when I started modifying and rebuild instruments.

I hope it helps

http://www.mimf.com/