Becoming musically stale

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 5s_tring freak, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Does anyone ever feel like two-week-old bread when it comes to music and being a bassist sometimes?

For the past month i have been really stale. This year has been a year for me where i have taken time out from being in regular serious bands just to chill and earn some money, gain some perspective. I still play in church every week. I am getting really bored of it and it is showing in my playing. Almost to the point where its a chore to go to band practice.
    I hate that because music is to be enjoyed, not to be thought of as a chore.

However, last night at church we auditioned a new drummer. Myself and him locked in really tight and we had some serious groove happening, and he seems to be right on my bands wavelength. plus, my Warwick has been out of action for a week due to electronic troubles so i have been playing my Jazz heaps. The different tone and feel of the bass really made last night a fun practice.
    I think i am slowly coming out of my slump.

does anyone ever feel like this?
  2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Precision/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I too currently feel the slump. I moved up to Seattle from Austin about 9 months ago and in doing so left a trult great band that just happened to be filled with a$$holes. Anyway, since i've been up here I have'nt really been able to finds the vibe I'm after or musicians I like and click with. The music scene here seemingly only goes 3 ways, Death Metal, Drum & Bass (DJ, turntables) and indie pop punk. Not really my thing at all. My playing and mood are really starting to suffer from it most of the time. Take comfort someone else is right along with you:bawl: :) .
  3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I go through that every now and then. Usually when I come out of a slump I don't want to do anything put play music. I just got out of a slump and I have been working on my sight reading and making great progress. I think it is all a part of developing as a bassist. Just like some mornings, you don't want to get out of bed, even though you know you have to.
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Everyone goes there. I think I've been there twice, both times really depressed about it too. I got through it, and somehow emerged as a better musician. As Stephen said, everything becomes so much more fun when you're out of the slump - you're listening more, practicing more, and hopefully improving one way or another.
  5. Sounds like there is a gap in the market! Maybe you need to fill it. Now finding likeminded people is the hard part....
  6. my teacher always tells me that if you feel musically stale, it doesn't mean you are, it just means you're getting tired of your playing...we all get that from time to time...
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice to see you back, Oysterman.:cool:

5s_tring freak,

We all go through this. There have been times I have wanted to quit one or both of my bands, but I hung in there until it became fun again.

I have slumps in my playing, and sometimes feel like I am stuck in a rut 20 feet deep.

Sometimes it helps to take a little time off, other times it helps to force your way through it by going to the woodshed and working on some things.
  8. embellisher,

I think i might take some time off playing in church. I have played basically every week since i was 13 and thats about 7 years now. I will pray about it first, of course.
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

I'm never satisfied with my playing, I'm always falling into ruts, I constantly am trying to find a new sound, or work out the sound I have now or just do whatever.

I've complained on these boards more than my share of times about falling into musical slumps;), it happens to me all the time.

but...if anything falling into a rut motivates me to try new things, and practice more.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree.

I'm my own worst critic (I hope ;) ). There are times when I feel inspired and creative, but other times where I feel I'm just playing SOS (Same Old Stuph). However I have received compliments even from other bassists on nights where I've played SOS: even though those licks were old and tired to me, they were fresh to them. I've also complimented bassists who've said "man, that was just muscle memory, I'm off tonight".

To give myself some credit, I'd say that I have a style of playing. The way I please myself most is to be creative outside of that style... really think outside the box. I don't give myself enough credit for being creative within my own style.
  11. I've experienced this concept because I'm going through quite a period of barren creativity now. I used to look at the fretboard of my bass and see so many different posibillities; thoughts would be bouncing around and I could mess around for hours coming up with too many ideas for songs to count. Now I see nothing but structure limitations. I've been practicing scales back and forth too much; my own cage of theory (so to speak) has prohibted me from writing creatively. Mainly because I wouldn't be able to figure out what key the songs that I would write were in. But I liked them and I was productive. I haven't found anymore decent musicians to play with and my band situations have suffered. My playing is shot and I think that I'm winding down from bass. This happened right after I started playing with three fingers too. It was nice for a while but the slump started soon after.

Anyway, my experience....

-Anthony :(
  12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The Sydney scene is funny. Whenever I feel like I'm in a slump, it also seems that my bills are being paid on time and by bank account has money in it.
  13. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I think you hit several nails on the head, there.

I go into slumps because I get easily bored with what I'm doing, even when I like doing it, and I'm never satisfied with even my best work. I also have poor luck in finding musicians who share my tastes in music.

As a result, I keep buying and learning new instruments. I play music I recorded for people and it's frustrating when they want to see my "band" perform, but I'm the only one playing all of the instruments on all of the tracks.

Slumps are part of the passion.
  14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's pretty normal...playing with new people always gives me a boost.