1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

becoming pro at shooters (or less noob)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jezz8me, Mar 2, 2008.

1. I am a gamer but i am that rare type who will admit:
    I am noob at shooters.

Give me an action slash em up on hard and a bit of time and i will beat it, give me an rpg and i will completely pwn the bosses give me a tekken style fighter and i can, most of the time, pummel the opponent.

but it is the highly competitive online first person shooter which i cannot play. I got COD4 with my ps3 and i is a fantastic game but i have yet to get over a 6 kill streak online and i die more times than i kill. When it is not easy to flank the opponent and get them of guard i am stuffed.

So what is it that noobs like me don't understand?

i also suck at RTS but that is a lack of patience and hotkey usage

2. Just play them, each is slightly different, You eventually get a faster twitch reflex to get the headshots ;)

Also, to be 'pro' i think you have to automatically assume anyone who does better than you is cheating.

3. lol i saw something somewhere bout the rules of online fps and there was heaps of that

so basically with COD4 it is about getting better reflexes and being able to shoot people who just appear, i play console btw so there less ability to twitch

4. Again, its just something that you'll get better the more you play FPS's, same with anything, the more you practice, the better you get

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    You won't be able to aim as fast as you could on a PC, but that doesn't matter. You can still 'twitch', it will just be slower than a PC player. But as I said it doesn't matter because you're not going to be versing a PC player on a console.

Once again, just play heaps. I remember when I got my first online FPS (Counter Strike Source) I sucked so bad. I would have 0 kills and 18 deaths. Now I'm usually topping the team whenever I play.

But I've moved on to better games. DoD:S, TF2, Gmod etc. ;)

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I managed a 25 kill streak online on Cod4, it was ace. I love shooters.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Level memorization is usually one of the skills that separates the n00bs from the top-tier gamers. The difference between knowing a level like the back of your hand and wandering around and just shooting people is the difference between winning and losing.

8. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    +1,000,000

Know where all of the best ambush locations, sniper perches, etc. are. Know where all of the noobs like to camp. Know which paths are the most commonly used and which ones are almost never used. Look for hidden shortcuts, hiding places, etc.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yep, you must develop routines to be the top scorer.

I run "rings" round CoD4 levels sometimes, like routes I have identified as being good killing spots. On the "Countdown" level the route is particularly easy to indentify.

10. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    unless you play CS, you are a FPS noob.

11. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    Play Nexuiz. If you get good at this game, every other shooter will look like slo-mo. :p

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Other things that help:

Resolution. You can see farther

Map your keys.

Thumb controlled trackball mouse frees your other fingers for more buttons (IME, I did the FPS thing from the early 90s to 2002ish.)

And of course Circle Strafe :D

13. Want to be good at shooters? Know the maps like the back of your hand and just play a lot. It'll click after a while. Each game has different nuances.

For instance:

COD4 vs Halo

Both great games, and are fun to play, but totally different in so many ways. Grenade usage, weapons, different beatdowns, ability to run vs ability to jump really high. They are so different and each have special nuances that you need to master.

Just play, a lot.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just play a lot... in the beginning I went from 2-3 kills a game and 20+ deaths, to the opposite of that. Every once in a while I have a bad game on a level I don't frequent.

That's the sorta crappy thing about COD4. When you're a level two, you can still be playing with level 40+ players. They've unlocked so much more than you can imagine. Better guns, better perks. They've got abilities you can't even imagine.

You'll unlock them soon. However, as a level 38, I still play mostly with the M4 and MP5. Learn these guns like the back of your hand.

And ALWAYS reload when you're not in combat. And be ready to melee at any moment. That critical reaction will save you many deaths.