Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bedbug epidemic in NYC - How bad is it? What to do when traveling?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by unlined4string, Jan 23, 2006.

1. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    I'm traveliing to Manhattan for a series of gigs next month. It's pretty much well established that the bedbug problem in NYC hotels is out of control, even in the nicer places.

I'm greatly concerned that I could bring bedbugs home if I stay in NYC. I'm considering staying st least 40 miles away in NJ to lessen the chance.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    My only advice is to not listen to anyone who's telling you anything about bedbugs. Unless you're staying at the palace hotel or a homeless shelter, I wouldn't concern myself.

3. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    My only advice is to sleep tight and don't let them bugs bite.

4. Funny that you think NJ is a better alternative to bedbugs....

(I'M KIDDING) :D :bag:

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    LMFAO. ohhhhh Jersey.

Been here almost 2 years, I have no idea what you're talking about.

6. I lost 3 fingers on my right hand to bed bugs at the palace hotel.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm almost not sure if that's a joke or the truth. :)

8. I don't have bedbugs. It's not as serious as they make it. You should be more worried about roaches than bedbugs. Roaches just don't die. I swear, theres been times where I've killed the same one atleast 5 times...

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What bedbug epidemic are you referring to?

10. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    <<What bedbug epidemic are you referring to?>>

It's been pretty widely reported in the press, and on web sites where customers rate hotels. NY Times has run several articles on it, most recently in November 2005. NYC exterminators are reporting a major increase in bedbug calls during the past few years. It's not just hotels; condos and and apartments are affected too.

It's a tough situation. A hotel can't afford to take the drastic measures needed to really exterminate a bedbug infestation. Even if they do manage to eliminate the bedbugs for a time, guests are always bringing in more on their luggage from the hotel they stayed at the night before. Some hotels just stonewall complaints and admit to nothing. It's happening everywhere, but NYC seems to be heavily affected because of the high concentration of hotels and travelers.

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=h...as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images

11. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Oh. Well, how often do we stay in hotels where we live? Uh. Yeah, sleep tight my friend.:bag:

12. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    bedbugs are eliminated by vacuuming the bed. It's that simple. Saw it on the discovery channel.