Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bedroom Amp Under $300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Head Creep, May 9, 2005.

1. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm looking into getting a good amp under $300 (my financial situation's changed in recent days), and as before I don't know where to start. A quick browse online brought up the Ashdown Perfect Ten MiniRig, which seems to be a good setup. According to Same Day Music they should be in stock on Tuesday, and at $270 it's very tempting. However, the Electric Blue 12-180 combo sounds nice too, and is only $20 more than my budget, which is easy to afford. Should I take the plunge with something that hasn't even been released, or go with something else?

It would probably be good to note that I'm looking for a warm tone, and I would easily choose tone over volume. Quality over quantity, right?

It might also help to note that I do have a Behringer V-Amp that I intend on using as a preamp. I'm still new to this, so I don't know if that would knock out the tone requirements or not.

2. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    swr workingmans series are good, my little 10 sounds huge at moderate volume. My full rig is at my buddies studio so I practice with the 10. Its loud enough practice with, can keep up with a drummer, and can get noise complaints.

I saw one used local for 150, so the deal is out there!

3. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    If it will strictly be for bedroom only, you might consider a small 2-4 channel mixer and a nice set of headphones. If you get good quality gear it will probably come pretty close to your budget. I have found I love practicing running my source and bass through the mixer. It works out even better since you already have a good pre-amp.

I am using
    behringer ub802(I know behringer..... )
    akg 240df
    ampeg svp-pro

and use my computer as the source when I am learning tunes.

just thought I would give you another option.
    -Bryan

4. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Good Idea, they have headphone amps. I paid 50 for mine, seen em on ebay for 20. called pockit rockit or something. I had to get a GOOD pair of earphones to really play but thats a good investment too.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I personally use a Crate 112 60 watter I picked up new for $160. For a bedroom amp, just go to a guitar center and try out some small combos, you're bound to find something.

6. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I already have the V-Amp for headphone usage, and 3 good pairs of headphones (Sony V6/7506, Grado SR-60 and Shure E2c). I plan on practicing with other people in the future (high school = millions of bad garage bands needing bassists), so I want something that I can play with others. I was thinking of making a trip to Guitar Center or Bass Exchange (just found out it existed, don't know if they're any good), but I figured that some research beforehand couldn't hurt.

7. toobster

toobster Guest

Jan 22, 2006
    I have been using a Tech21 (sansamp) Landmark 60 to play along with TV commercials in my living room for a couple of months.
    It sounds great within its volume limits. Works AWESOME for recording.
    The only bummer is the rear porting. It sounds better away from the wall than against it.
    Truly a remarkable amp for the $200 I paid for it. Like new in original package.

8. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
  9. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

The small Carvin amp is pretty good for not much $$. You can often pick one up for around $100 used.

Dan K

10. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Just got a SWR Workingman's 10 from MF for $249 and I'm vary pleased!

11. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    so far ive had really good luck with my backline 112. i was prepared for dissapointment and come to be more impressed with it day by day.
    279$ and has a pretty decent distortion channel. and it kicks back. and its 100 watts.

if the wm10 was 250$ at the time, i may have gone with that instead. the 35 watt hartke was pretty nice too for 230$ but it seemed a little sensitive to hum and the flourescent lights in daddies while i was trying it out.

12. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I keep an older Roland Cube 60 Keyboard amp in the bedroom. It has better sound than any of the cheaper new amps I've tried. I do like the Ashdown 100 watt, with the 15, but it's a little big, and mine's cheaper. The old Roland has an eminence 12 in it, and 60 watts, not 40 like the new ones, and has nice low end.