Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bedroom Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassoProfundo, Feb 14, 2005.

1. BassoProfundo

BassoProfundo

Jan 24, 2005
    So I have some GAS for a used MTD 535 fretless I saw last weekend. I figure if I get a bass that expensive/sonically pleasing, I might as well get an amp that will compliment it. For around 1000 dollars, what would be the best I could do? I'm more concerned about sound than I am about volume, although I'd like at least 100W(just in case). Either Combo or head/cab setup is fine, but I've read that it's basically better to get a head/cab setup for mobility/upgrade-ability (I was thinking a 2x10, 2x12, or maybe 4x10.) Thanks for the input.

P.S. I did say MTD 535, so although I don't know the specifics of amplification physics, I'd like an amp that doesnt sound like it's farting when I hit a low B.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a g gives you a lot of options
    1st off, i would go with some power (ie at least 200 watts) as low frequencies eat up wattage fast and a low b string will do that well. cabinet wise, there are a ton to chose from and you will find cabs with 10's 12's and 15's that will do justice to a low b (at least to the upper partials). i'd say try as many as you can before buying.

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I had a B100R that had the perfect amount of power for a bedroom. And it had a very good tone as well. Used they go for about $250. ;)

4. BassoProfundo

BassoProfundo

Jan 24, 2005
    Any specific suggestions? The B100R would be absolutely perfect if I was talking about a 4 string, but since I'm not, the low wattage worries me a little. Nice little amp though.

5. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I have an Ashdown Electric Blue 1x12 combo in my room. It's 120 watts (an older one) and sounds great. Looks cool too! Light weight.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
  7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    how about the GK 400RB combo? I played one at guitar center. I thought it was wounderful piece.