Bedroom/apartment amp - Strange choice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Apr 28, 2004.

1. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I just chose between a used SWR Workingman's 12 and a new Roland cube 30.

I got the SWR for CDN$75 less than a new Cube 30, but am having last minute buyer's remorse. I needed a combo that would keep up with an acoustic guitar for jamming, and was worried that the Roland might not cut it. But the Roland only weighs 26 lbs so carting it around the apartment block would be easier than the SWR's 47 lbs. And the WM12 might be a bit loud for apartment practice...

Whaddya think? Am I silly for having second thoughts?
  2. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    You got a WM12 for LESS than a Roland Cube?

You got a deal, bro.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I was in the same situation a few months ago...Except that the WM12 was about $75 more than the Roland Cube. I bought the cube. I like the sound better although it isn't all that powerful. It can cut it on my really small Jazz duo/trio gigs however.
  4. i dont understand when you say an amp is too loud for bedroom practice. do you guys happen to notice the master and gain knobs or do your amps come with them glued in one spot?
  5. If its too loud turn it down =w= :D
  6. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I think you did really well. At some point you may want to sell the small amp. I would think the SWR would be easier to sell that the Roland. YMMV

Phil...nice photos on your site. Where did you spend time up north? I used to live in Resolute and Hall Beach.
  7. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    They got it right with that one. I bought one used in high school and it finally crapped out in law school. Wish I had another one!

8. I don't have a practice amp so I use my QSC USA900 power amp into my hartke 4x10 cab in my apartment! Those little knobs on the back really work! And I thought they were stuck on 10!
  9. Rest assured, you made the wise choice grasshopper!
    The SWR is better sounding (IMO), and better quality!