BEE Bass in the house!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rod B., Nov 20, 2004.

1. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    I received my BEE7 yesterday. Yeah!!! UPS manage to get it here without losing it or skewering it with a fork lift. :^)
    The specs are;

7-string 34" scale, redwood top, walnut core, purpleheart fingerboard, maple and purpleheart neck w/graphite rods, 28 frets, Aero Q pup, DR Hi-Beams, black hipshot hardware, totally passive.

First off, after taking the bass out and seeing it first hand, "Yeah Baby!!!"

OK, now the playing and sound test.

The sound is clear but not brittle. A very even spectrum. The only way I can really describe it with words is, "Holy Crap!!!!!"

So far I've just played it through my B50R practice amp with and without headphones, but I'm very pleased! I can't wait to jam out at moderately loud volume with my Read and Bergie 310. I want to hear the total package against a trio (drummer and guitar player.)

I find the tone usable from full on to totally off, but I tend to be at 90% the most. The action is low and no buzzing anywhere. And I played normal, I didn't have to lighten up. Of course I really don't play that hard. I'm used to flats so I need to clean up my sliding up and down on roundwounds. (I figure it'll only take a few weeks.) It slaps well. I have to clean that up now that I have 7 strings to deal with, but still... It also taps very well and the high strings are a blessing. I'm glad we went 7 and not 6-strings. Thanks for the input on that Fred!

The neck is wider than I mentally projected it to be, yet it is way easier to play than I ever imagined. Fred is a true Miracle Man!!! The balance is perfect and the weight is much less than I expected a walnut core to weigh. The spacing is 18mm and very, VERY comfortable. A perfect profile for *me*.

The B-string is as good as any I've ever heard and this is a 34" scale. The sound low to high string is very balanced, even though headphones.

I have to be careful not to overplay/overuse and injure myself. I don't want to put this down! Yes there is the "new toy" factor, but this is without a doubt the finest bass I've ever played.

For both aesthetics and sound the only thing I can say is, "HOLY CRAP!!!!!!"

Rod B.

P.S. I can see my Fender HRP being very lonely for a while, maybe a long while...

Attached Files:

2. Whoa, the back of the neck is awesome! Nice score man!
  3. radi8

Feb 10, 2004
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very nice, congrats!
  6. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Thanks all.

Here is a poor pic of it beside my Fender HRP. There wasn't enough natural light and I had to use flash. Therefore the Bee is washed out in some places (hot spots) as the flash is on that side of the camera.

The BEE7 yahoo pic album, try it as a slide show.

BEE7 album

Rod G.

Attached Files:

7. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Dear Rob, how are you getting along with the 18 mm spacing @ the bridge? I requested that exact measure for my coming bass. :)
  8. tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    too bad they built it backwards.... :smug:
  9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Congrats on a beautiful bass! I am becoming more and more interested by Fred's work. It may be my next purchase for a bass next year.
  10. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    I find it to be the perfect spacing for *me*. No adjustment time was needed and I can go back to my HRP and it doesn't feel weird. I had a MM5 for awhile which I believe is 17mm. That felt a bit cramped and with I'd go back to a Fender it felt like the strings were a mile apart. Then going back to the MM5 would feel like I was cramped again.

On this 18mm I can slap or tap without any problem... well none because of spacing, I'm still a problem. :meh:
  11. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    One advantage to that is, no one asks to try out your bass! :D
  12. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Thanks... Fred does unbelievable work!

BTW, the pics are good, but it's even more beautiful in person.
  13. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    That's a nice one! I especially like the cross pattern with the neck bolts. Nice top, too. I'm starting to see (and like) a lot more redwood tops. Is redwood this year's "spalted" top?

14. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    That's just gorgeous- congrats!
  15. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I've been in love with that bass ever since seeing it on Fred's site.
    Excellent choice of woods! The redwood top looks great! Enjoy it!! :bassist:

16. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Thanks again for the positive comments all.

I picked that top piece out in March so if redwood is becoming the next spalted I was ahead of the curve! :smug:
  17. I agree totally with your "Holy Crap!" comments. That thing looks amazing.
  18. Congrats that is one amazing bass!!!!!!!!!
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  20. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Thanks FenderBender and Brad!

BTW, many years ago there was a local band here named the Fender Benders.