1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bee Bass owners club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jonki, Nov 26, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    That's not a good pic at all. Sorry. I promise to put up bigger & better pics.

2. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    Got it today! It kills!!!! I'll get some pics up a.s.a.p.

3. Awesome Brady, now lets see those pics :bassist:

4. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    Here's a couple.

5. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    and a few more...

6. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    and some more....

7. Gbassman815

Gbassman815

Feb 22, 2009
    dude, i love that color, it almost changes a little in the light:bassist::eek:

8. She's a beaut my friend, Congrats! :D

9. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    Thanks. And THE TONE OF THIS THING!!!!!! Fred has outdone himself, yet again. Honestly; this bass exceded my already high expectaions. Hopefully I can get some video/ recordings with this beast soon.

10. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    :hyper:

Congrats!!!

11. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Do tell about the pickup placement when you are ready! Pretty please...:)

12. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    That's where I asked Fred to put them. Thinking about the voice of a fretless (& how I play) I didn't want the neck pickup to close to the neck. Yes; that might yeild a deeper low end, but I can dial in more bass with the Bee Pre if needed. Having it a little tighter in to the bridge pickup makes for a bit more of a controled vibe in the low mids...it also adds a nice growl. The bridge pickup is far forward enough that it isn't too nasaly/ tinty sounding. I used to own a ZON that had super tight pickup placement..I never could use the bridge pickup by itself. It was just too close to the bridge/ way harsh. The bridge pickup on this bass (by itself) is very much useable. It comes pretty close to that of "Jaco" tone. The neck pickup (by itself) is huge sounding without getting out of hand. It sounds great. Very versitile.

13. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    Very nice! Looks like we both arrived independently at this idea. I'm working on a fretless bass project which has a similar (if not identical) pickup placement as yours. I get much better results from the "sweet spot" pickup location instead of a typical "neck" location for fretless bass.

I'll be testing mine initially with a pair of Bartolini "classic bass" soapbars, but I've also got a pair of Delano SBC "Driver" pickups (P2 shape) which I can try next.

On a related topic: have you had a chance to listen to the differences in tone in your SBC quad-coil pickups? I've got a quad-coil version of the SBC "Driver" pickup, and I am finding it difficult to tell the difference between "single coil" and "parallel" settings. Is it clearly different in your bass, or very subtle? Can you do a "tap test" and see which coils are active in "single coil" mode? Mine appears to be wired as "P" and "reverse P" for the two coil settings.

14. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    How many inches (or millimeters) is it from the 24th fret to the center of each pickup? It is hard to tell from the photo, but it appears as if the "neck" pickup is somewhere around the classic "Stingray" position.The bridge pickup looks centered right about where a 70s Jazz bridge pickup would be found. This configuration is very similar to a setup that I am considering (mine would be fretted), and I would love to know how you arrived at the precise placement. Did you tell Fred the exact measurements that you wanted for your pickup placement, or did you simply describe the tone you were looking for and let him place them where he thought they should go.

Even with your EQ set flat, I would imagine that you still have some nice lower "bass" frequencies (and articulation) on your neck pickup. It seems like your neck pickup would also have a nice "punch" to it.

The bridge pickup is probably quite versatile with the quad-coil thing going on. Heck, the whole bass is probably very versatile with the quads. That's a large amount of tonal options with the switching alone.

15. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    I'll have to find out which coil is activated in single coil mods....not sure. The difference between single coil & parallel is slight. Single coil operation has a very clear articulation/pretty flat mid response/ a little roundness in the low end. Parallel has a very hi-fi treble response with an ever-so-slight scoop on the upper mids. A little bit of a deepening in the bass response. To me, the most obvious sonic difference is in the treble. If I want that super hi-fi "Alembic-like" treble, I'm going parallel. If I want more cut, I'll go single coil. And then, there's always series......

16. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    I took some quick/ approximate measurements...Probably not the most precise, but you get the idea.
    The neck pickup center from the 24th "fret" is 4inches & 18/32's. The bridge pickup center from the 24th is 6 inches & 20/32's. The gab between the two pickups is about 22/32's Maybe closer to 45-46/64'ths. The two pickups together extend in front of & behind your typical "sweet spot" pickup placement.....like on a Music Man bass. This is a great formula for fretless.

17. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    Thanks for taking the time to measure those distances - it really brings about a sharper perspective for me.

The bridge pickup is actually closer than I had originally ascertained from the photos. Perhaps the neck-side row of pole-pieces on the bridge pickup actually falls closer to a "60s" Fender Jazz placement with the bridge-side row even closer to the bridge saddles than a "70s" J placement. How do you have the pickups wired? It seems you must have super clarity and punch (if you choose to have it that way)with this setup and combination of woods...or warmth and mwahh.

18. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    The pickups are quad coils. They can be indepenently be switched into series, single coil, or parallel. Without even touching the 3 band EQ, I have many different tones to choose from....just by switching the pickups coil configuration. The passive tone works wonders. This bass is off the hook.

19. TapyTap

TapyTap

Apr 26, 2005
    On the bridge pickup for example, can you select which row of pole pieces you wish to use in single coil mode, or is this switching option predetermined to be the row of pole pieces closest to the bridge saddles?

I am also wondering how you have the two pickups wired relative to each other?

I bet it does sound killer...it sure seems like it would!

Gracias!

20. Brado

Brado

Oct 19, 2005
    Buda, TX.
    Yeah....that's what I'm not sure about. I'll need to test'em & find out. The coil row used (when in single coil) isn't switchable....at least by means of a switch. I'm not sure if it can be wired differently. Knowing Reinhard Jedamsik & his genius; probably so. I'll see what I can find out on my own & ask Reinhard anything I can't figure out.