Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bee Basses?? Anyone played one??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedV, Jun 5, 2002.

1. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    I just happened to stumble on this website and I must say, their design is absolutely gorgeous. Does anyone know anything about them, played them, own one??

Just killing time waiting on MY bass I suppose:)

Alex

Edit: Suppose it would help to add the website...

BEE BASSES

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hm,

"A" basses Sing.

"Bee" Basses Sting.

What do "C" basses do?:confused: :p :D :rolleyes:

3. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    "C" basses can help a blind man:) Man, that was lame...lol

Alex

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah it was lame, but at least you said it and not me!

Peace
    Nick

PS: very sweet basses

5. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    hehehe...thanks man:)

I just think those basses look totally rad.

Alex

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow, those are pretty sweet...i wonder who the builder is.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sweet yes, and also pricey! 1700 base price for a 4 string...

But, that said, I looove the shapes he's working with.

8. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    the headstock is made from a different piece of wood than the neck... that's a new concept to me... do other people do this too?

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    scarf joints are quite common, though i've never seen one use two completely different species of wood...interesting

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's true, Neptoon.

I'm intrigued. These are pretty unique looking instruments. Nice to see a new design. Kind of strange that there's no more info on the builder. I like the Queen Bee singlecut but for $2600+ for a 5, that's a leap of faith I don't think I'd be willing to make right now.

There's also a mention of dealers... who and where are they?

11. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Yeah, the thing I really like is the design. I don't think I'd be willing to drop $3K on the Queen Bee 5 Single Cut(the most beautiful bass on that page:)), but I think I know a luthier named 'Dave' that could probably reproduce something similar:)

Hmmm....I haven't even got my new bass yet and I'm planning another...is that a problem:cool:

Alex

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    If so, I'm in trouble too.
    My FBB nears completion, but dang if I'm not scheming up a singlecut fretless in the meantime.

The QB's are nice, but I don't like that fingerboard cut at the end.

13. I'm into unconventional basses--look at my FBB--and I dig the hell out of this, but those prices are just too much for a builder just getting established.

14. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    I agree, the prices are a bit steep for a veritable 'no name', but dang if they don't look good:)

And that cut at the end of the fretboard is one thing I really dig! Cool in an unconventional sort of way.

Alex

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Man, I just saw some other builder listed who was in McMinniville, OR, but I can't remember who it was
    :confused:

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

They are convinced that the headstock wood affects the tonal outcome. Pretty controversial, but different things work differently for different luthiers.

I have no opinion or experience with that. My headstocks have always been whatever wood/woods the neck is made of.

17. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    I just received a beautiful 5 string Worker Bee & will be bringing it to BassQuake on September 28th if anyone wants to play it. (www.bassquake.org)

Body: Maple
    Top & Back: Mahogany
    Neck: Maple
    Fretboard: Jatoba
    Headstock: Zebrawood
    Pick-ups: Seymour Duncan Basslines MM
    Preamp: Seymour Duncan 3 Band

Test Report:
    This is truly an amazing bass. The playability is smooth, comfortable & perfectly rounded any style, including slap, finger, etc. The tone is HUGE! (Thank you 3 band EQ) The B string is absolutely incredible, but all the others strings are very balanced across the board as well. The workmanship is flawless. Did I forget to say light? This bass doesn’t weight anything.

Fred is also great guy & a bass player himself.

This is the least expensive custom made bass I’ve ever had, making it very affordable & a best buy! (Other basses I currently own: 6 string fretless F Bass, 6 string fretless Ritter, 6 string Roscoe Dragon Icon)

Whappo
    :cool:

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, cool to hear someone actually has one of these things, and it turned out great. especially in the company of three awesome basses. how 'bout some piccies, man? ;)

19. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Update:

Everyone at BassQuake (this last weekend) that had a chance to play it was amazed. (Brian Bromberg among them)

I also played it for two gigs over the weekend & didn't have to touch any knob outside of the volume control to make it sing. This baby must have an autopilot mode, because it almost grooves by itself.

Whappo

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you mean sting? ;) sounds great, man. i'm pleased to hear all went well. i really dig the looks of these basses.