1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bee Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fill, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Fill

Fill

Oct 5, 2004
    these are killer basses people i played greg cambles 9 at NAMM and it was a dream the fanned frets are awsome. i cant wait itll my bass is done

2. What are the specs on yours?

3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Yes, I really like the looks of these basses and I had a chance to play Greg's old(?) fretted 7 and Stew's fretless 8. Both were outstanding and I certainly wouldn't hesistate to own one.

4. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Yes, fill us in! I played both Greg's and Paul's fanned fret Bee's and was surprised how comfortable they are. I'd certainly consider one in the future.

I really liked the body shape of the GBC signature bass. I've been talking to Fred about doing a single cut version for me later this year.

5. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I dig that BEE style!

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Bronx, NY
    I love the Bee's! Fred has such a unique vision for his instruments and I like that. He's really stepping outside the box and taking some chances. I think they look great (although I can't warm up to the giant two toned top in the picture above). I love his double cut design. Go Fred!

7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    while i don't doubt they are great instruments, these are high in the running for yoogliest basses of all time IMO.

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I think Bee's designs are great, tho I've never seen one in person that will hopefully change in about 2 weeks when I catch Stew and The BOG up here in MA. Of the Bee's I've seen I was always kind of surprised that their design actually looks more natural in ERB form (figuring 6+ strings) than in 'standard' bass form (4 and 5). And while the 5's still looked great IMO, the 4's started to look kinda goofy and cartoonish with their body shape. That being said, that 3 string just looks silly IMO, not that there's anything wrong with looking silly, I'd just have to wear a clown suit when I played it.

9. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

When I was doing the research for my last bass, I tried a Worker Bee 4 string that a guy in Tampa had. I wasn't all that impressed. The construction was very good, but the body was just too small for me. Then it had that big Jimmy Durante nose of a horn. It was just too goofy for me. I was interested in the Queen Bee, but no one had one in FL that I could try at the time.

I also noticed that the name emblem on the head stock was beginning to rub off. The bass was only 1-2 years old. That started to make me concerned. Just my limited experience and $0.02.

10. effbee

effbee

Mar 9, 2002
    I guess I just have a goofy sense of style :p

Oh well, at least I can't be accused of making "cookie cutter" basses. As odd as they may look, I personally find them to be really comfortable. With the compact body and long upper horn, I get total access to the highest frets, and even my 9-string has better strap balance than a lot of 4-strings I've played. I've thought about offering a more traditional body style, but with all the basses available out there, I wondered if anyone would even give it a second glance.

Bassmanbob, that maple top Worker you played in FL is actually the first bass I ever sold. It's still going strong, and hopefully I've been able to refine my construction and quality since then. Sorry it wasn't your style, but I really appreciate you going to the trouble of checking it out!

Thanks for the comments, guys! They are always appreciated :)

Fred
    BEE

11. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Well, I've got pretty trad tastes and your basses are definitely a departure from trad designs... someone out there needs to be pushing the envelope!

12. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Fred:

Thank you for not getting angry with my comments. I really didn't have enough time to finish my thoughts on your designs and bass. I had to get back to work.

What I also wanted to say was even though the Worker Bee wasn't my style, it's great to see some new and innovative designs coming out. Every luthier will have his or her niche with the market- even if he or she is one of the 1,382 companies making Fender look-a-likes. The market will determine wheather or not the bass world needs that many Fender looking basses. Even I have one (a pre 1975 Ibanez law-suit Jazz). But what gets me excited is a new look with great playability and tone. Even if it's not for me, I still think it's good for the bass community.

I can see how the longer horn would help balance neck dive on a bass. I've written about that in different threads before. Just look at Warwicks with that short upper horn. Many players complain about neck dive on those. Most people talk about how heavy the headstock is, but the balance of the body is important too. And that includes the upper horn.

As far as construction, the thing that stood out in my mind was the sticker beginning to wear away on the headstock. That's a minor point, but it began to give me concerns. I like to follow posts about your basses, because I still really like the Queen Bee design, and I want to see what other players are saying about them. I do remember the bass playing well. I couldn't comment on the tone because the guy who had the bass had a horrible amp that was sitting behind the couch.

I look forward to seeing how Bee Basses do in the bass community.

13. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Fred, maybe you should add a 'Bee Bass Registry' on your website. Do small image and info of the basses you've made. There's quite a variety in the ones I've seen so it could be pretty interesting. Interested Bee owners could submit an image or two for you.

-Eric.

14. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I saw BOG last Thursday in Cambridge. Stew may have had the Bee somewhere as a backup, but he used only the Conklin 10 for the show.

15. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea I was going to go to that show until they added one out here in Northampton.

16. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    They are definately very nice instruments- I've played a few at a gallery here in Denver and was impressed, but the looks and sound are not to my tastes. I'm sure you'll love though Fill! Congrats!

17. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    Eric -

Do you know if any BEEs will be at RCR this weekend? I'd like to check one out if there is ...

Rodent - keeper of the Watts

18. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Yes. Fred just finished some mods on mine and I'll be picking it up there. So at the very least, you can play mine. I would suspect Fred will have more. Tom B. should be there with his fretless too. Maybe we can convince Paul Delano to bring his by too.

I just hope Fred brings his Accugroove cabinets.

19. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    Kewl ... see ya later this afternoon Eric. I'll be loading the truck in about three hours and heading out.

20. inazone

inazone Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I just got my queen bee yesterday from guitar x, all I can say is that Im impressed. I went to the store to get a cab and came out with the bee.

I like the looks OK but what sold me was how great the neck is and how well the bass "fits" standing up. No neck dive and very comfortable. At first, in the store, I thought it was going to be kinda like a stingray. After I got it home and played it awhile I found it to be very versatile and a lot of great tones.
    I found this bass to be a definite players bass, not just for looks.

Well done Bee Basses, Im a happy owner.