Bee Gees singer dies...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by deadweeds, Jan 12, 2003.

1. deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    ....and so disco died.

thats a damn shame..I'm just getting into disco(seriously) Jaco played a lot of funky r&b disco grooves and its turning me on to the better side of disco-type music.
  3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I recommend Little Beaver's "Party Down." or you can get the track jaco plays on by buying the japanese import, "The rare collection."
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

He was not only a singer.
    He mainly was the bassplayer.
    Quite important I guess.:(
  5. So, in fact...he is not staying alive.

That is bad to hear though.
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Don't feel too bad, I was thinking the same thing. Not counting some of the poppy disco stuff, the BeeGees could really lay it down back in the day.
  7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Feel I'm goin' back to Massachussets,
    Something's telling me I must go home.
    And the lights all went out in Massachussets
    The day I left her standing on her own.

Tried to hitch a ride to San Francisco,
    Gotta do the things I wanna do.
    They brought me back to see my way with you.

Talk about the life in Massachussets,
    Speak about the people I have seen,
    And Massachusetts is one place I have seen.

I will remember Massachussets...

RIP Maurice...
  8. That sucks... I read about his illness, or something in the paper briefly yesturday...

I used to really dig Stayin' Alive...

uh uh uh!

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  10. Geez, that sucks.

I guess we all have to go sometime.

11. :(

I don't know what to say.

12. Yeah, Maurice Gibb played a lot of the bass lines through the years and, if you listen, you'll find that he contributed some very cool bass lines. I think his bass playing was really overshadowed by the fact that they all harmonized so well. I also think he down-played his bass playing a bit. That last couple of times I saw them on TV he was playing keyboards and they had someone else playing bass.

If you ever see when they played live at their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, you'll see Maurice playing a black Hofner Beatle Bass... it looked, and sounded, very cool.

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I want to add my condolences on the death of Maurice Gibb last night at Miami's Mt Sinai Hospital. Fifty-three is way too young to die.

Whatever some may say about the disco era, the BeeGee's music was one of the main soundtracks of that era. Whenever I hear one of their songs many memories come flooding back. Plus I actually liked many of their songs.

It is a strange feeling to be outliving a number of muscians who are my contemporaries.
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what a shame - the bass lines on saturday night fever were totally rockin. funky rickenbacker player :(
  15. Ditto!
  16. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    That is sad. And I just caught a bit of "Saturday Night Fever" on TV last nite (the character Stephanie in the movie is whom I'm named after) and had the Bee Gees stuck in my head all night.
  17. Disco gave them a bad rap. They were extremely talented songwriters and musicians.
  18. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Can't say I was a fan, but I feel bad for his family and fans.
  19. In the early days, "Massachussetts" and "New York Mining Disaster 1941" were two of my favourite tunes.

RIP Maurice:(
  20. ...Oh yes, especially in some of their early stuff (when the Bee Gees consisted of five musicians)! "Gotta Get A Message To You" for example has a nice, melodic bass line.