Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beefbass, Nordstrand NP4!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Arthur U. Poon, May 25, 2004.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My P-Bass has the 'S-1' series/parallel switch. I emailed Carey, and he's going to custom make an NP4 for me that'll allow the series/parallel switching at no extra charge :cool: ! I'm going to order the pickup through Jay @ Blueberry Hill Bass. I'm sure it'll take some time, but there's no rush on my end, and I'm confident it'll be well worth the wait. I'll keep you posted.

Working with indie builders like Carey Nordstrand and Jack Read have been great. :)

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey there, congratulations! Thats awesome that Carey is gonna custom build that for you. I think you are really gonna love the way your bass sounds after installing these pickups!
    I'm especially curious to see how thats gonna sound with a parallel/series option.

I take it you were happy with the customer service provided by Blueberry hill Bass? I sure was.

Let us know when you get that bass up and running with that Nordstrand! :hyper:

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Oh yeah, Jay at Blueberry hill bass is awesome to work with. When I've got the cash saved up for a new Nordstrand bass, I'm going to order it from him. :bassist:

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    You've read my mind exactly about that! :hyper:

5. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey Arthur you ever get your NP4 installed? What are your thoughts on the sound?

6. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Yeah, I'd like to hear about that. Especially with the parallel/series option! Should be awesome. :hyper:

7. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey Beefbass you have a PM.

8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    You've got reply! :)

9. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I cant wait to get this pickup. Tim how do you think it would fare in a southern rock/folk/alt. country type of band? Think Pete Yorn meets Slobberbone.

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    I've received the NP-4S, but I've been too busy to solder it in. As soon as I can I'll post my findings.

11. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Cool deal. Oh by the way Beefbass, PM'd you back

12. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Any luck with soldering in that NP4? I'm seriously intrigued by this because I'm on the verge of doing the EXACT same thing so I'd love to hear what you have to say about this Arthur. Good luck, and hope it works as well as we all want it to!

13. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Yeah Arthur, can't wait for your review on this pickup. Hopefully, you will love it as much as us who have it do!

Ralphdaddy, you're in Chicago-I believe that's where Blueberryhill bass is. Give Jay Lewis a call, or stop in to see him! He's a great guy.

Hey Arthur, I'm especially curious as to how that NP4 will sound with the series/parallel option you're gonna have for it.

To anyone considering one of these NP4's-IMHO, this is a great pickup! I say go for it, you won't be sorry you did. Deal with Jay Lewis at Blueberryhill bass(here at Talkbass as JPJ)
    You won't regret that either! :hyper:

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    +1, Beefbass ain't lyin' Jay is a great guy, and he's made me some sweet deals. If you have the chance, check him out.

OK, I promise the NP4 will be in my P-Bass before this weekend-I promise! :) I'm going to A/B the stock pickup(which is really muddy IMHO) to the NP4. I post my findings real soon
    I'm finally getting caught up with my household chores(I gotta pay the wife for the new Roscoe ;) ) and I plan on using the P-Bass this weekend on a gig. This will be the best test IMO, to see how the NP4 sounds with the rest of the band.
    On a related note: I bought my MIA Standard P-Bass off of ebay. I recently took the neck off and I've found the neck was made in 1996, the body in 2003, so obviously the seller has swapped some things around. I'm wondering if the pickup is even a stock pickup. I've noticed other MIA P-Basses don't have staggered polepieces, mine does. I bought the bass w/case for less than $450.00 and it's like brand new, so I'm not complaining. But I see this guy is buying & selling P-Basses all the time on ebay, I don't know what he's up to. :eyebrow:

-A.P.

15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    I've finally wired the NP4-S pickup into my P-Bass. Compared to the stock pickup, the Nordstrand has more clarity and sounds more defined, just what I was hoping! :) The differences between the Nordstrand and the stock pickup are subtle, but noticeable. IMO the Nordstrand has a great vintage-P sound, I'm very pleased.

-A.P.

16. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey Arthur does it still retain the nice bottom end of a P-pup? I know you hooked yours up to be switching. So how does it sound on the different settings?

17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    The NP4's bottom end is really good. That's where I felt the stock pickup needed improvement; it had lots of bottom end, but it was really muddy. The bottom on the NP4 is still strong but it has definition. It's a very vintage, classic P-Bass tone.

The sounds of the series/parralel switching are pretty close to the stock pickup, just with more definition on the bottom end. I rarely use the parallel setting, but it's a nice option to have. In parallel, the mids scoop out a bit and the overall tone is a little more glassy with slightly less output. The parallel tone works really well for slapping (but I'm not a really good slap player! :D ). I prefer the series wiring, it's the vintage P-tone.

The leads are black/white and it did'nt come with instructions. I used the trial & error method to wire it up, but it was'nt a big deal.

I used the P-Bass on 2 sets last night, I think the big, raw P-Bass tone was overwhelming the band, so to be a 'team player' I played the rest of the night on my Spector.

I'll be able to explore the P-Bass more at home in the practice room, my bandmates prefer a few of my other basses over the P-Bass, I'm taking my Modulus & Spector to the gig tonight.

All this said, the NP4 is a great P-style pickup. It has just the tone I need and sounds very vintage. I'm glad Beefbass turned me on to it.

-A.P.

18. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

Glad you're liking that pickup Art. I hear what you're saying about the low end. IMHO it's incredibly fat, while retaining note definition.
    I gigged with it last night-seemed like the bottom end could have blown somebody's head off :eek: Too bad your band mates don't like it. The group I was filling in with last night-the lead guitar player likes the bass the best-it's his favorite, so it's the only one I use on that gig.

Do you use flats on your Pbass? If so, what brand? If not, what brand? Just curious. :)

19. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    My buddy just put a Nordstrand PU in his custom shop Fender P bass. He LOVES it! It sounded great before,, but he now says there is a definate improvement in clarity and response.

20. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    As far as strings go, I put a set of D'Addario XL rounds on it, just because I had a set at my house. I'm really considering flats though. I've read good things about Thomastiks flats, I'll probably try a set.

Have a great week, A.P.