1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Beefing up a violin bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hunter432, May 5, 2020.

1. Hunter432

Hunter432

May 5, 2020
    love the feel, look, and vibe of this old violin bass I have from the mid 70s looking to get a sound more similar to a stingray out of it. I know this is crazy but I just want to do it i was thinking Bartolini pickups with an active preamp. any advice would be loved

2. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway... Yes.
    But enjoy the search and journey.
    I've had three violin basses over the years (one was a 73 Hofner), and I think they are what they are. But I never tried effects or different pickups with them to make them sound different.
    Good Luck to you!

Reedt2000 likes this.
  3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    gebass6 and Reedt2000 like this.
  4. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Good luck.

That's like trying to get a Modulus bass to sound like a hollowbody violin bass.

Enjoy the hunt!

5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Welcome to the forum @Hunter432 !

Part of the charm of the hollow-body bass is the way that the hollow body is much less stiff than a solid-body instrument. And part of the tone and response of a Stingray comes from its solid body. You could try reinforcing the violin body, but at some point it will cease “being” a violin bass.

On the other hand, there’s no reason you couldn’t drop some EMG humbuckers and one of their active preamps into it. I’m modifying a similar bass in a similar way right now. I haven’t settled on specifics, but it will have either EMG or Wilde bright-sounding humbuckers and perhaps a two-band stacked-knob active preamp. :cool::bassist:

HaphAsSard and Reedt2000 like this.
  6. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    You could run an outboard preamp, it'll keep you from having to put a battery in the bass. Just swapping pickups is a much more plausible mod. I don't think you'll ever get to Stingray tone (IMHO), but I don't see why you couldn't put a pair of humbuckers in it.

7. Hunter432

Hunter432

May 5, 2020
    Thank you I know I wont get a stingray tone but that was just a reference point for what im looking for

Reedt2000 likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021