1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Beefing up my Lakland DJ4?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by middlebit, Feb 26, 2008.

1. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    KĂžbenhavn
    Sorry for contributing to the DJ-spamming of this board, but I need some advice here and didn't feel the need to hijack another thread.
    I recently bought a DJ4. Now that I'm getting inside the sound, I notice it has fairly limited tonal options. Both pu's on full gives me a bit of 70's jazz, bridge up gives me a very weak Jaco bark and the neck up gives a fit middy kinda woof. I think it's carrying Aero's.
    What could I do to beef up the overall tone of the bass, especially give me a rounder, fuller bridge tone and a cleaner tone with both on full. I've thought about some Nordstrands or trying out the Audere preamp or even both. But I reckon it probably won't have the optimal effect installing new electronics if the pu's are the source of the trouble, right?

2. scottic2

scottic2

Sep 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    I have a DJ4 with the newer Lakland pickups installed in it that i bought used. To be honest, I didn't love the sound that I was getting with the bass. Loved the look and playability of it, but did not love the sound. It was a little clanky for me, and I could not find a tone that i liked.
    After doing some research, I found that a lot of people had installed the Audere Preamp in their DJ4 with good results. I figured that rather then selling the bass, I would try out the preamp upgrade, as the Audere is not that expensive.
    What an improvement. It seems like the sound that you are hearing with your current bass is pretty much what I was hearing before I installed the Audere, and it sounds like the sound that you are after is what I now have after the preamp installation. I played it again last night, and I am continually blown away by the versatility of it. You can get a fuller bridge tone, a much rounder tone from the bass. I understand that you do have different pickups in your bass, but I know that there are a lot of people out there that have the Aeros in their DJ4's and are extremely happy with them. I am EXTREMELY happy with my DJ4 now, much MUCH happier than I have been with any other bass. I HIGHLY recommend this upgrade.
    If you have any other questions, let me know!
    Scott C