Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Beefing up my old Essex (SX)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RollingMonkey, Jan 24, 2005.

1. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    I've had an old SX bass (my first bass, in fact) lying around for quite a while now and I don't really play it. I haven't even thought about selling it because the body's kinda smashed up and the electronics are f***ed.

Anyway, I figure that if I replace the pickups and electronics, I might just get a decent-sounding bass. I plan on keeping it passive.

What pickups and electronics would you recommend?

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    P, J, or both?

3. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    Both.

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Try the Duncan Antiquity Series, or even the "Hot" series. Di Marzio makes some pretty good Js, the Ultra Jazz, but I can't vouch for their P stuff, as I've never used a P setup. Look in the Bay for some used ones. You'll find something decent for not too much money. If you decide to go the PU route, do yourself a favor and get new pots. Makes a difference! Good luck to you!

5. I vote for Lindy Fralins.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I say get yourself some Norstrand pickups. Carey is making really great stuff. I've used his jazz stacked humbuckers in basses that i've made.

Speaking of which i need to order another set. thanks for making me think of it !

7. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    Erm, sure, any time! LOL :D

8. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    My vote for Dimarzio Willpower Middle pickups for the P pup. Fat lows, thick mids, glossy, growly, round tube-like in the higher register.