Beefy tone for $1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alexander, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I am looking for a good 5 string for around $1000 (used is okay, if not preferred). I really want a good, muscular/beefy/thick tone with lots of girth. I think my thumb bass hits like a machine-gun, which is very useful (lots of cut) but I want this 5er to be more like a sledgehammer. (How's that for a description):D

I'm thinking a Stingray would do the trick, but I am wondering what good alternatives may be out there. I put my hands on a Spector recently, which I liked the feel of a lot, but didn't get a chance to plug it in so I don't know what it sounds like. Someone on TB has (or had) a Fender PBass Deluxe, which is also interesting, but I've never actually seen or heard one.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    There is a guy selling a used 5 string P Bass in the classified section for $730.

If you wanted to stay Fender. Alot of people have good things to say about the Fender Roscoe Beck 5. BTY, you can find for under a grand.

Check out the Skyline series by Lakland. They are great. I own an American Lakland. But the 55-02 can hold its own next to a 55-94. You can get the Skylines with Deluxe tops on them as well.

The Skyline Joe Osborne 5 is another great axe.
  4. if you like the fender style stuff take a look at a G&L L2500

it gets good P, Jazz and music man style tone and has a real powerful tone of its own. I have an L2000 (the 4-string version) and it is one of my favorite basses.