Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BEEFY!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Discrepancy, Jan 24, 2001.

1. Can you help me? I have read alot of reviews for amplifiers, and some of them say it has a beefy sound. What does beefy mean? Its really buggiing me seeing that and not knowing what it means.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've been buying bass amps since before solid state was on the radar and the "beefy" thing, I find, is about as meaningful as "supreme," "deluxe," "super," and other delivery pizza terms. We're talking bass here. No manufacturer/retailer is going to say, "The Megawatt Colossus has the lean, thin, tofu sound bassists are after."

There is no spec. for tonal texture and timbre. Your ear is the only judge as well as the maker's rep. Now, if Ampeg says "has a beefy" sound, I sit up and listen. I know I can expect a thick, powerful tone that will maximize my B, (unless I'm using a Rogue :eek: ) If you can plug your bass into a guitar amp, you will probably get a "vegetarian" sound and get a better idea of "beefy."

3. I think it's kind of like "punchy" and "warm," - a term everyone throws around, but no set definition exists for. Therefore, everyone develops their own personal definition and never really knows what someone else means when they use the same term.

Make sense?

4. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    In a lot of cases,it translates into an exagerated low mid response.It's more often the fault of the cab than the head.

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    For what I know 'beefy' is just another word for 'muscular' or 'strong' or like that.

I agree with virtual.ray that it may mean strong low mid response - maybe opposite to what is usually considered as 'hifi' sound (much low bass and highs, attenuated mids)
    But also opposite to 'cold' and 'harsh', which is what you get from cheap and/or underpowered amps.
    Kind of 'traditional rock bass sound'
    Of cause that's just my opinion.

Matthias

[Edited by Matthias on 01-25-2001 at 02:08 AM]

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This highlights the fact that forums like this are a waste of time really!! ;)

The only important thing about musical gear should really be "how does it sound?" - and of course this is the one thing you can't describe in words. Otherwise we would never go to gigs or listen to recordings - just read the review!

One person decribes an amp as clear and bright and another calls the same sound "tinny". One person describes an amp as warm and full-sounding - another calls it "muddy"! And so on and so on......!

I amuses me that we get long discussions on here about the efficiency of cabs or whatever - but if it doesn't sound any good then who cares!

7. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Bruce: I fully agree with you.
    But how can we share our knowledge and experience on a forum like this if not by expressing it with words?
    And amps and basses are not the only things wich are hard to describe with words - philosophers of all ages did some intense thinking on that topic... ;)

I think we better stop here if we do not want to go far off topic :D

Matthias

8. Bruce Lindfield

I think you can share experience on things like technique and musical theory, this is fine and there is a lot you can talk about. But what instrument you prefer to use and what sound you like is purely personal and it always amuses me that the most posts are about the very things that it is impossible to talk about.

I sometimes find that I don't look in the Amps or Basses forums for weeks at a time, becuase it is just full of entirely "subjective" statements and counter-statements that I've heard many times before. But I always have a look in Technique etc. I only come round here when I get bored and "stir it up a bit" - like Munji!! :D

9. tone is subjective. beefy must mean....contains beef

10. Bruce Lindfield

So therefore... sounds like a Cow! As in ...

Mooo! ;)