1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Been a long time...here's the update

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Acacia, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I hope things have been going well for everyone. Just wanted to drop in and give a little update.

1. I left Norfolk, VA after 36 years and moved to Austin, TX. I left a state gov't job of 18 years. Best move I could have ever made. It's awesome down here. The town, the people, the lifestyle, the music...everything. I wish I would have moved here a decade or so ago. Other than some of the people, the only thing I miss about VA is the landscape. I do miss some of the tall-tree forests. I think I'll manage without them. ;) I had an incredible job oppurtunity that brought me here and things are great with it. I am doing the same type of work that I did back east but for a lot more money and a lot less stress.

2. I'm currently in 2 bands:
    The Doug Morrison Band - 3pc instrumental guitar rock in the vein of Eric Johnson, Vai and Satriani. This guy is phenomenal and was the runner up to Zakk Wylde to get the Ozzy gig years ago. I'm not on these recordings but as soon as we get a reliable drummer (pipedream?), we'll post some newer stuff. www.myspace.com/dmorrisonmusic

Capricorn USA - The Tribute to Motorhead. As some of you may remember, I do a Motorhead tribute. We ended up on a tribute album that came out a year or 2 ago and did 2 songs, both uploaded to our Myspace site. I've fired it back up here in Tejas and we have our first show in September. We'll only do it 2-3 times a year. www.myspace.com/phlemmy

3. My bass family is always growing and rotating. I currently have 4 Rickenbackers, 1 MIA Fender Jazz and 1 el-cheapo newer model BC Rich Eagle (I am on the hunt for an older one). I am so in love with the Rics now. As you'll see from the pic, I prefer black on black and am always looking for original black on black models, not Jetglo conversions even tho one of mine is a conversion. I'm always in the market for another Ric!

I hope you enjoyed my little moment of self-indulgent blabbering. Now please enjoy the picture show. :bassist:

From L-R:
    1980 4003 Jetglo conversion
    1979 4001 Jetglo w/black trim (original)
    1986 4003 Silverglo w/black trim (original and hopefully will be sold soon)
    1986 4003 Jetglo w/black trim incl. all black hardware (original) - this is my baby
    l_fe44e58fe61eeb1cecc53489c3536723.jpg

1998 MIA Fender Jazz with non-original pickguard. I got this from Guitar Center a few months ago for dirt cheap because the frets were very worn. Had it refretted and now it plays like a dream.
    DSCN0515.jpg

Late model BC Rich Eagle. I picked it up for next to nothing and it's being shipped here this week.
    bcricheagle.jpg

2. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Welcome back!

1. Have you met Txbasschik yet?
    2. You need to update your location.

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanks!

1. No, I haven't met her.
    2. Done!

4. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    I left Norfolk 12 years ago after 40+ years off and on, but not by choice, as I had a DOD job that was eliminated by the BRAC commision in '95. I'm in NY, and it's plenty different (not so much geographically as Austin, but in other ways). You're still listing your location in Suffolk, I see. Glad to hear you're digging Texas.

The only things I don't miss in Norfolk are the property values that went stratospheric recently, and the racial friction.

Wow, nice collection of Rics!

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My old roommate had a job that was eliminated by the BRAC @ NADEP working on f-14s.

The racial friction is definitely prevalent there. Not so much down here that I have noticed. Some complain about the Mexicans but I have no issue with them, mainly because I see them working hard.

6. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

Welcome to Texas !!

i'm in San Antonio , but have gigged many times up in Austin ...
    any chance of you playing anywhere around here soon ?

ps.
    not everyone in Texas is a redneck ,
    most of my best friends are of Mexican heritage .
    :D

7. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Bingo. Same here.

8. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm afraid of Texas, but if I had to go there I'd want to see Austin.

Welcome back and nice basses!

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Sounds like you made a great move. Killer basses BTW.

10. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Time to go to Bass Emporium....

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    welcome back sean! good to see you again.

12. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I stop in about once a week. Good guys.

13. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You guys probably worked together, same era.

14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Nice to see you, Sean.

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1

Always had a soft-spot for Ricks. Beautiful basses.

16. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i wasn't a fan until i owned my first one. now i am hooked.

17. 1993gt40

1993gt40

Jul 19, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Welcome to Austin! I wouldn't think of moving away from here, it's just too nice.

Nice Ricks btw.

18. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, this place is heaven. I plan on dying here, be it today or 30 years from now. So far the only downfall is the lack of drummers...at least reliable and talented ones. ha

19. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    How different is that from any other spot in the world, really.

Welcome back. :)

So, do you have horns yet?

20. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX

I guess that's true. For the 16 years that I was a drummer, I was usually the only guy in the band that was reliable.

No, no horns...never!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021