1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Been a year since Sandy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    ...amazing that there are still folks put out of their homes by this. I didn't receive too much damage, just some downed trees and roof issues - I got lucky. There's still a house just around the corner from me with a tree through its midsection. Unbelievable that it was not been torn down or repaired... the shore areas that were hit are recovering but there are streets that no longer exist - (my GPS tried to have me drive nearly into the ocean last spring!), there are heroes and villains, overall a surreal experience for me. Still seems odd to me how some large areas seemed to escape unscathed while one block over the houses look like were bombed..
    Much wishes of luck, recovery and happiness go out to the folks still feeling the impact of that one.

2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Take it from someone from an area where getting blown away by mother nature is a semi regular event, the end result may be a couple years in coming, and it will never be like it was before, but all in all it will come back better than it was. granted, some folks will lose everything they had in their beachfront property, but that's part of the process, and is also the gamble they took when they acquired property on the edge of something so vast and volatile as the Atlantic ocean.

I've never been to the Jersey shore and while I'm aware of some show on TV about life there, I've never watched it so I have no preconceived notions of what the folks who live there are like. I suspect however their lives are by and large pretty ordinary and drama free, and given my undying love of the sea I can't imagine life on any ocean shore as not being a good one in spite of the occasional setback courtesy of mother nature.

Either way, best of luck to those affected, and especially to those still struggling.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    My neighborhood wasn't bad. There were plenty of downed trees and a few smashed cars, but I don't think anyone around me had any real structural damage to their houses. The gas situation was huge pain in the rear though. I might store some gasoline in my garage, just in case.

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yeah the gas was a nightmare around here as well. I had stored up several cans just prior so was able to keep the generator running so that we would have heat and the fridge could be kept running. As soon as I would hear that a gas station had gas, I'd run over and fill another can or two so I could keep it going as needed.
    Fortunately our power came back on relatively quickly. I found out that we're on the same power grid as the local HS which was designated as the storm shelter so it had priority...lucky. There were some folks without power for weeks and weeks...insane.
    I did lend out my generator quite a bit. Darn thing was a blessing for a number of folks. We had learned the hard way from the previous year with Hurricane Irene. 2' of water in the finished basement...lovely.

5. Fawkesguy

Fawkesguy The sea refuses no river.

Mar 5, 2005
    NJ
    During Sandy, we lost power for 30 minutes and I think maybe a few leaves landed on our grass.

Several neighbors right around the corner from us were without power for 2+ weeks and had roof damage, fallen trees, flooded basements. It was like we were in a bubble. So weird, but I'm glad we were able to provide showers, power, and a place to do laundry for many friends and neighbors.

6. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I was thinking about this recently - it seems like we don't recover from disasters as quickly or completely as we did in the past.

I've read that some areas devastated by Katrina in 2005 still haven't been fully rebuilt. Anyone from that area have anything to add?

How about Joplin? Has it been rebuilt?

If we aren't restoring and rebuilding, then why not?

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I have friends who live in Kenner and Metairie. They tell me it is still rough going in the area for many. Unfortunate for sure. I suppose there are other pressing matters.

-Mike