1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Been ask million times probably

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. chaining effects. i have a tc electronic tune, a keeled bassist limiter compressor, Boss GEB-7, a fuzz pedal, and a Boss DD-3 delay. And I just bought a Aguilar Filter Twin. If you were chaining all this together how would you do it, to get the best sound from your Filter twin are best sound period.

2. Bass > Tuner > Filter > Comp > Fuzz > EQ > Delay >> amp

is the common way but it really is best to try different combinations that may work better for your needs.

3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I say go comp > filter. IME the comp will greatly reduce the filter sweep and greatly subdue it, especially if you want a really wet sound.

cataract likes this.
  4. Comp or drive into filter is a way to restrict the filter and perhaps to get a more synthy sweep.

I prefer to dig in and have an organic dynamic control of filters in my fingers and a comp or limiter after a filter to tame the beast.

5. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    I love the keeley compressor at the end of my chain. It's especially great for taming some of the extremes of filters and fuzzes, so I run mine at the end. My approach would be:
    tuner > GEB-7 > Filter Twin > Fuzz > DD-3 > Keeley

In my rig I never needed to do this with the Filter Twin, but sometimes you can get more out of an envelope filter by boosting the mids with an EQ right before.

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    That is exactly how I would set it up.

7. Mine used to look like that, pretty standard way of doing things. I changed my chain up about 5 years ago and haven’t looked back. Mine is almost completely backwards now.

Bass
    Fuzz (OD)
    Filter (Chorus)
    Preamp
    EQ
    Delay
    Comp
    Tuner (this one is arbitrary, mainly a kill switch)
    DI
    Poweramp

I started biamping with split pickups (Billy Sheehan esque) and found that the traditional chain doesn’t work.

The take away is there is really no right or wrong as long as it sounds good :)

8. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    That’s the order, and reason why, I use it.

I’ve found that a wide sweep can decimate the bass signal. I much prefer the comp first.

9. would you take the Boss GEB-7 out 0f the chain, and what really sucks is my home made fuzz pedal this guy made for me quit , so its out of the chain now but it was given to me so i ain't out of money, i sort of miss my TC mojo.

10. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Compressor before an envelope filter is counter-productive; a filter, if you’re not operating it with an expression pedal in the manner of a wah, depends on(‘opening up’ the filter)the variance of attack that the dynamics of your playing provides; placing a comp or limiter before squashes the dynamic range, thus fighting the sensitivity reading of the pedal at input. Placing comp immediately after filter works good for me, especially if an octative/pitch pedal ever comes into the picture; comp before octave helps those boxes to grab on to the note. A comp at the tail end of a signal chain increases the likelihood of raising the accumulated noise level of all the boxes. Also, I’d put tuner first, so it gets the pure signal from the instrument. Another thing to consider is that many(but not all)fuzz, distortion, and overdrive pedals include some sort of compression circuitry internally as part of the clipping process.

11. so would you ditch the Boss GEB-7 and just use the Keeley Bassist.