1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Been away for a bit, What's new?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by momo, Mar 14, 2013.

1. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I was a total gear slut up until about 5 years ago. I got a full time job and started a family, and I couldn't be happier, but it is time to get back to the gigs. My tested rig was great, but I am just curious about what really turns heads now.

My fantastic rig for my gigs years ago was a GK MB1001-mk2 and an Avatar neo 2-10. My basses are a Lakland Skyline JO5, an 83MIJ precision, and a 98 Geddy Lee.

Is there anything that really has turned heads in the last few years that would make it worth going to Ebay with the old gear and stepping up with some additional cash for new stuff, or is it all really just the same with a new name? I have considered selling several of my mid-range basses for one good pro piece, but I thought I would come here to see what you all think. At this point, I will pretty much just be playing bars and tiny clubs.

Has there been anything that has really tickled your pickle in the last few years?

2. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    All the best bass guitars are made out of a plastic/polyurethane compound. Look into it. Also, amp technology has progressed to the point where a small 1 inch by 1 inch cabinet can produce 10,000 watts from 2Hz-2MHz.

3. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    There's a new pope. That's about it

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nothing that hasn't already been out for decades in one form or another ;)

5. wednesdayagain

wednesdayagain

Sep 28, 2012
    MA
    No need for straps. Basses float mid air these days.

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    The general consensus is that there is a best bass for metal....we just can't agree on which one it is! Welcome back. I would say keep what you have in terms of your gear.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You forgot to mention the new ultra-light-weight cabs - balsa wood reinforced with carbon fiber. Most 410s weigh in at about 23 pounds now.