Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Been Cheap too long...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jimbob, Aug 29, 2005.

1. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    I have been using the Hartke 3 pack deal on my bass for quite a while and they have been working out pretty well for the most part. I usually change them out after 2 or 3 shows as I am a sweat-gland personified with hair gel and am active on stage...running around think I'm a rockstar type stuff...my Hartke strings get beat up fast...but they are inexpensive and I don't care. I have a "string" of outdoor shows in September and I am interested in your feedback regarding DR Handmade BKB-45 Black Beauties Medium Guage.

Is it worth the extra cash? They look cool...Thanks

2. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Guess they suck then... :rolleyes:

3. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Well, I sell them so take my answer with a grain of salt.

I don't use coated strings (not for me) but I've had customers tell me that the DR coated strings are the best they've ever used.

Tom

4. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
  5. rhett

rhett

Dec 23, 2004
    Austin TX
    i'm actually quite fond of the ghs infinity line - people prefer the drs for a traditional roundwound string sound with plenty of snap and bite? pm me on this, will ya? thanks

6. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    I bought a set of Black Beauties Wednesday, Played a gig Thursday night (Outside) and have another one tonight, Friday, which is Inside...I find them to be much smoother than the Hartke's...well...they cost twice as much so I hoped that would happen...I have a busy schedule coming up playing inside and outside so I will keep a list of how they perform

First thing the Drummer said was COOL!!! They do look cool!

7. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Friday Gig went well...Still has a smooth even sound through the evening.

Thursday is Next (Outside)

8. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Last night (Thursday) went well...It was another Outside gig and a very hot 90 degrees when we started. The coating is staying on fine however I hear that the strings are starting to loose some of their brightness. I wiped them down with a towel and it helped. I'll break out the Rubbing Alcohol...should help. So far, I am impressed with these strings. They are delivering. I feel I can make it throught the month (3 more gigs left in September).

So far, these strings are holding up pretty well after 10 hours of live performance and an additional 30/60 minutes a day of practicing. In the past, I would have probably changed my strings by now. I will go through a couple more gigs with these...they will make it.

Next Report Next Friday.

9. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Oddly enough, on the two MIM Jazz's I have, one has the Hartke's you mentioned and the other the DR black beauties. The strings are very different indeed.

Life? Hartke's seem to have a lifespan of a few weeks and then they are just the typical not-so-dead sound strings. Cheap? yea, and I'll probably get more in the future. But on the other bass, the DRs have a nice sound. Somewhat artificial due to their coating IMO, but nothing to complain about.

I don't have much to record from, but can always record into the notebook here and see what you think of each, but it will all come down to personal opinion.

10. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    I have been hammering on the Hartke's for a couple of years now and there is a sound difference in the DR's that I like over the Hartke's right now. The DR's seem to be giving me a much smoother high end for Slapping/Popping in particular...much warmer...jeez, I sound like a hippie "More of an Orange sound please".

11. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Last night (Thursday) was another outdoor gig (temperature was around 90 degrees). The Black Beauties are still hanging in there. They are starting to loose a little but of high end and the coating is starting to come off over the pickups (where I normally strike the string) and coming off the first position area of the fretboard.

In comparison to the Hartke's, which I would have replaced a week ago, the Black Beauties are a better value. They produce a more useable sound longer.

I have a gig this Sunday, Thursday and Next Sunday and plan on using these strings...will keep you posted.

12. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Sunday: Another Hot one...overcast Mid-80's temps. By the end of this afternoon's gig, the Black Beauties sounded deader than Disco. I have to play this Thursday and Sunday and am thinking real hard about either another set of the DR's or slapping my spare Hartke's back on to get me through.
    The DR's lasted pretty long under harsh condiitions. With the exception of 1 gig, all shows were outdoor gigs and 90+ degrees. I'm impressed! Out of the Box, the DR's also sounded better than the Hartke's to me.

Now, as far as getting by on the cheap you can't beat the Hartkes. Although I would have replaced my strings twice by now, I still would have had 1 more set of Hartke's left so economically, the Hartke's are a better deal...but....BIG BUT...I would have put my bass through extra wear and tear (Nut, Tuning Pegs) by replacing the strings and not to mention my personal time (not a lot of that available) in that process...Time management being what it is...DR's are a better deal.

I'll try red next time.

13. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    The Experiment Continues....Got too busy to change strings!

Temp in 70's for a change (Outdoor Bike Night). The Black Beautys have a nice growl fingerstyle and with a pick. Slapped on 1 tune (because the band likes to laugh at me)and it sounded, not the best, but acceptable.

2 gigs coming up. This Sunday (Car Show) and Next Thursday (Bike Night). If you are near Gastonia NC, come on by! Check my bands website for times and places.

As an aside, if you haven't checked the DR website in the last 4 weeks do it...they are stepping WAY up for their Gulf Coast Dealer Customers!

14. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    That's 30 hours of performance and 15 hours of practicing or 45 hours of total playing time... :bassist:

That's pretty Sporty if you ask me!

15. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Got so busy that I didn't have time to change the Beauties out...Tonight and Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday coming up.

16. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    'and you're talking me into it. Appreciate the long term report..

17. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    I played last Saturday...Private event OUTDOORS (34 degrees!) We played under some pretty intense lighting so it didn't feel that cold on stage and I kept my bass on stage so it wasn't being exposed to varying temps. The bass strings stayed in tune pretty well.

Sunday, we played outside (Daytime...about 70 degrees) and no problems at all with tuning. Got a nice tone out of the strings however I had to tweak the amp a bit...more mids and had to crank up the gain.

Wednesday was outside again (40 degrees) and didn't have the extreme lighting like at the party so it was chilly on stage. I remained in tune. I left my EQ the same as the previous night.

I am playing again outside tonight and it is supposed to be cold (40's). I will put some more info up Sunday.

The coating is starting to come off the strings. They are looking very worn but, right now, the overall tone is passable for Rock and Roll. I will have to change my strings this week as we have some indoor gigs coming up.

18. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Last night went well...(it was 40 degrees last night!!! :eyebrow: ). Yummy BBQ, FREE BEER and the last show on the Beauties.

Sounded pretty good...went sharp (tuning) a couple times which happens in the cold but no other issues...got to change them out...hope I have time...playing Friday and Saturday night INDOORS for a change....YEAH!!!

Beauties are worth every penny you will spend.

19. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Yes, yes they are.

I find that I can fine tune the eq and get ahelluva lot of different sounds. (ie. they give a great amount of even bass, mids, and treble through the pickups which I can mess with...)

20. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Agree...even after a few weeks of playing they were very consistant and easy to dial in.