Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Been listening to Floyd and......

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Atom Heart Mother, Umma Gumma, Meddle, and Animals are brilliant albums.

Ain't been much talk on them lately so I figure I'd start a thread.

You know how their late 60's , early 70's stuff is kinda like spacey , creepy , sci-fi filmsoundtrackish stuff? Are there any other bands that have a sound like this? I've always thought that the music in the old 50's , 60's, and such sci fi films were brilliant.

And Nick Mason is badly underrated.

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Hawkwind is THE space rock band.

3. Well I already know that , but the two are not the least alike. Other than that they did enough drugs

4. OysterBoy

OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Try Comets on Fire, very spacey sound; though alot of it is more "supercharged, rockets away" sci-fi ish then floydian. There'es still plenty of similarities though, and you will more then likely get a blast out of the energy.

5. Consider checking out CAN "Soundtracks". If you get it on CD, make sure you get the recently-released remastered version rather than the original pressing. It will say "remastered" on the CD cover and spine.

I recently picked it up and felt it had some things in common with post-Barrett-but-prior-to-Dark-Side-of-the-Moon era floyd. Of course, there's plenty of good Can out there, but much of the other stuff sounds different from anything I'd call Floyd-like.

6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I was just listening to Animals the other day..Such an amazing album!

My dogs were buggin' out when "Dogs" was playing...lol.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I know you dig Porcupine Tree's new stuff, but did you know on their older albums they were for all intents and purposes a PF ripoff band? One album even contains a long epic song split into two parts, one at the begining, the other at the end ala Shine on You Crazy Diamond.

Circulus might be too folky for what you are looking for. Link\

Perhaps Dark Fog. Though they are too pyschedelic to be compared to later Floyd. Link

8. I've heard Circulus before and already think their badass. Nothing like Floyd to me , but good nonetheless. I just gotta find their album....