Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Been looking for a first fretless, found this on ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by suicas, Dec 8, 2004.

1. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    I'm a lefty in the UK, so haven't exactly found many fretless basses leaping out at me.

Came across this on ebay recently:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3766475559&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I really know very little when it comes to different type of basses, just wondering:
    * If anyone's had any experiences with this type of basses (or Aria as a manufacturer)
    * Whether this looks like a reasonable first fretless
    * How much the bass looks to be worth
    * Whether there's anything I should look out for..

Any insight at all appreciated :)

--
    Dave

2. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Aria is good Japanese stuff, IMPO a bit above Ibanez, though I'm an Ibanez "hater" so take that as you will. :) That looks like a very nice bass to me. Just my style, passive, simple, good construction.

4. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
  5. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    The Japanese made Arias are great finds.

6. I had a modern Aria IGB bass for about a year. Soundwise it was not my cup of tea, but it played like a breeze! It had some really thick fingerstyle tone going on and it tapped really easy.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Looking at this thread again.....

That bass does not look to be a neck through as the lister seems to indicate. It looks like a set neck design to me. Same difference, set neck sonically works much more like a through neck than a bolt-on. I personally wouldn't fret about it. Ha ha ha get it?

It's obviously a fretless conversion job, I personally don't like those and would recommend a bass originally built to be fretless instead. First of all the big honkin' ugly dot markers on the front of the fretless neck are ultra wack, secondly, 90% or more of the fretlesses out there have the side markers at the note locations, and conversions have them in the wrong place. This will make it much harder to play other fretless basses in the future.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good bass, but I wouldn't pay much for it, I'd very strongly prefer a "native" fretless. I'd buy the Cort or Yamaha instead if I were you.

8. John Taylor played on of those arias back in the day. I think they are great!

9. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Hmm.. the guy did tell me that he couldn't tell whether it was conversion from a fretted or not...

I'd probably be best of going for one of the other in that case, I think fretless will be a new challenge enough without worrying about fret markers being in the wrong place to.

The Cort does look lovely too.

10. Go for the Yamaha...I can tell that this bass was used by a player (check out the pup adjustment).

Basses that were previously owned by players IMO, although often looking a little more "beat up" are actually much better "set up". I'll take set up over looks ANY day.

But that's me.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Philbiker got it right on the nose. It's a fretless conversion and a set neck. If you have good ears, it really doesn't matter where the fretmarkers are.

People've done it for hundreds of years on violins and double basses.

12. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin
    I played one of these with mahogany body a year or two ago. I really liked it, the wenge neck was great. I don't remember checking it out too closely, but my overall impression of it was good. If I found one for a few hundred, I'd buy it.

13. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

The Cort B4FL is looking pretty high up in the running at the moment.

Would love a 5 string really, not seen anything lefty for a reasonable price though.

Even the B4FL I've seen is going for £565 (over $1000!). Anyone know how much these go for in the US?