1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Been out of the loop way too long - need advice!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheButler, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Hey,

Well, as you might've noticed i've been out of the bass loop for ages now. So long in fact i think someone stole my username (well, kinda!)

Anyway, i've got right back into bass after some difficult personal times. I've sold all my gear - to start again :)

So, i'm starting to look at amps, but as i mentioned it has been ages since i've been in the loop and i can't remember much :(

I just sold my old rig - Hughes and Kettner BassBase 600 - due to it's relatively sterile tone for such a high end piece of gear. I would be trawling the shops, as i know my ear is the best judge of what sound i want - but circumstances mean that it is very difficult for me to get to said shops, therefore i'm going to do the next best thing and ask on here:

I've been looking at a MarkBass/Aguilar set up. I fancied doing this before i had to stop playing for a bit last year. I know this site has a lot of info on it, but that has its downside as well! I'm completely drowned with opinions and what not :crying:

Ultimately, i've got about £1500 to spend on the rig, and i'm thinking LMII and maybe an Aguilar DB210. Thoughts?

Cheers and sorry if i've just made a '' What am bestest thread :( ''

Jamie

2. What about an Orange AD200B, with 4x10 AND, 1x15? ;-)

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I think you'd be quite happy with a LMII and an Aguilar DB210... or whatever good quality cab.

Pickup a used LMII and you get an excellent amp for quite a reasonable price.

4. I'm not entirely sold on the idea - i was just looking for opinions :)

What about the GB Shuttle 6.0, instead of the MB LMII? I know for a fact i love the aggy cabs, after trying them out, but if there would be a better option, considering my wants - then feel free to suggest.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Love the LMII, love the Shuttle. Two completely different amps, though. The Shuttle sounds more traditionally solid state to me, while the LMII sounds more like a clean running Ampeg tube amp to me. Both of them are amazing. I bought an LMII because it twangs my Ampeg jones more than the Shuttle, but the Shuttle's a class act, too.

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I own a shuttle 6.0, a DB112 , a GS112. From a portability standpoint, it's an awesome setup. The shuttle is a very clean sounding amp (think SWR). The DB cabs have a "hifi growl to them (think a cleanup SVT). A good sound, not necessary super warm... Don't know what sound you are looking for, but the Markbass is definitely going to take you in a different direction.

7. Thanks for the opinions chaps :)

I should've maybe said, i play post-rock with my band, but i'm only 18 and i've got such expanding musical tastes that i'm after something that will be versatile - who knows what i'm going to try next :)

Well, i tried the Aguilar DB210 and really loved it, i've never tried the 112 though. I'm swaying toward the LMII, due to wanting that kinda clean, tube driven ampeg sound. I can get the LMII reasonably easy, where as the GB - not so much.

If i got the LMII, would the Aguilars be my best bet for a reasonably versatile cab? It was a while ago since i played it. Also, the amp i was using was an Eden IIRC. I did like the fact they were warm with enough growl to suit my post-rock needs -without loosing any articulation of the sound. I'm not a typical post-rock bass player in that i'm not drowning my signal in copius amounts of distortion and what not. I like it warm, with tube grit! :D

I can ask the shop to get the LMII in, but i think if i do that then they have a policy where by you have to buy it, if they order it in from one of their other stores :(

8. Right, i think i've decided:

LMII or TC Rebelhead 450
    Berg AE210 and then an AE112 at a later date

Don't think the amp would be able to push both of those though, would i be losing out?

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Both cabs are 8 ohms so should be able to be used simultaneously with a 4 ohm capable amp.

Alex

10. I was just wondering though if i would get the most out them, given i wouldn't have as much power as other amps.