Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Been playing bass for a couple months, and I have a few questions...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thor16, Aug 29, 2004.

1. thor16

thor16

Jun 16, 2004
    How often should I change strings or how will I know when to change them? And I have no clue as to what kind of strings I would want to get, so I would love any suggestions.

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Once they sound dead and you're no longer satisfied with the tone the strings are giving you, you should change them. You'll notice it especially if you slap.

3. I think the only way you will know what to get it to try a set of stainless roundwounds, a set of nickel roundwounds and a set of flats, and see what you like. I would try DR, or Tomastiks (TI) to start out. There are other brands I like also, but these two most people seem to like.

I change every 6 months when I clean the fretboard, or when they get corroded. To try a new set, leave them on for at least a few weeks of playing to see what a set does for you. You may not like a set at first, but then they age to what you want. Or if you are do slap, you might like the new bright sound and would change more often.

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    How often [and when] you change your strings is a personal decision. When I started out, my teacher said every three months or so. I did that for awhile, but I've had this set on for probably nine months or so now, and I like the sound.

So whenever change them whenever you want. Whenever you feel like they need to be changed, they do. It's all in the mind of the player.

As for strings, it depends on what kind of music you play and, more importantly, what kind of sound you're looking for, as well as what kind of feeling you want under your fingers. I'm currently using dead nickelwounds (and havebeen for awhile), and I love the tone of 'em. They're only bright when I want them to be, and can get very dark.

By the way, I use Ernie Ball .50 - .70 - .85 - .105 Nickelwounds (aka Nickel Roundwounds). They have more "oomph" on the higher strings, and more balanced for the lower strings. Works for me, gives my higher strings some more string, which tends to lower the tone of your bass.