Been playing for about 3 months...

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by ShIzNiCkO, Sep 15, 2002.

1. ShIzNiCkO

Sep 15, 2002
    Hey ive been playing bass for about 3 months and i absolutely love the instrument and want to become a dedicated bassist. Throughout the last year ive been browsing through instruments and my conclusion is bass is the way to go... Im going to start taking lessons shortly but i was wondering wat i should i be doing to practice before i start taking the lessons. Throughout the past weeks ive learnt various bass lines but i feel that im not getting much better.... Wat should i be doing to practice...
  2. worganc

Sep 16, 2002
    Ontario Canada
    I've also just started playing bass. I played guitar for 23 years before deciding bass looked like more fun. I am surprised at just how different bass playing is. So hears what I do - maybe this will help. I am already fairly good at learning by ear so I take a bunch of CDs where I like the bass and think I can manage fairly easily. I learn the bass and play along. This helps me with my meter and touch. I have even started learning Jazzy tunes of my sons Sesame Street CDs. These guys are studio players and the songs are fairly standard Jazz, Blues, & R&B. If you can get past Big Bird and Elmo then you can learn a bit about composition.
  3. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Welcome to the bass world!

Actually, I'd advise starting lessons as soon as possible. You'll want to find a teacher that can get you started with good technique right away, so you don't have to spend time un-learning bad habits later. Playing bass can be kind of hard on the hands, so you'll want to do whatever you can to avoid repetitive motion injuries. Best of luck to you.