1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Been stuck in a musical Rut for the past year...?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassman750-2009, Nov 20, 2010.

1. bassman750-2009

bassman750-2009

Jul 27, 2009
    Hey everyone my name is Matt. I have been playing the bass for about 8 years now, and have been teaching myself theory and basic composition techniques. but there is a huge problem. I haven't really been improving at all for the past year... maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm in college and dont have as much time to play? but, I feel as though I'm at the point where I either would have to A) practice solo for around 2 hours a day or more or B) practice everyday with a band; both of which, I don't have time to do, since I'm a Physics major in college. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. :D

2. Your bass can be a good way to unwind and relax from "the books", but, the books are your number one priority right now. You will have the rest of your life to play bass.

3. bassman750-2009

bassman750-2009

Jul 27, 2009

haha thanks man I appreciate it :D

4. Basshoofd

Basshoofd

Jan 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Try to get inspired by something, maybe some different music. For example, check out gospel bass players like Sharay Reed and see if they have anything that interests you.

5. My problem described word for word ;)

I've pretty much eliminated everything apart from (practising and studying) music and academics from my life. It's helping a fair deal.

6. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Or even different musicians in general. When I was learning the blues, I would listen to all the bassists (Johnny Gayden is a favorite), but really got more inspired by the pianists (if there was one) and the guitarists. Try listening to a completely different instrumentalist, and see what you like about their playing, in terms of concepts and feel. Then try to apply that to your bass playing.

7. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    This is kinda what I did when I fell into a rut. I started listening to banjo players and fingerstyle guitarists in bluegrass bands. I became very envious at the ease these players accomplish such fast licks. So I picked up a banjo and taught myself how to do forward picking rolls, then backward and alternating. In no time I had blended the technique in with my bass playing and even adopted the thumbpick. This opened up whole new worlds of bass technique to me and made a lot of what I used to play much easier so I can concentrate in putting more "feel" and finesse into the music.

8. bassman750-2009

bassman750-2009

Jul 27, 2009
    Yeah I've been trying to do that alot lately... been listening to Giant Steps alot and Maiden Voyage :cool: