1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Been surprised by a cheapo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basscooker, Dec 31, 2011.

1. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    ok. to avoid that "what's the best bass for ...." trap, i'll rephrase and elaborate but am basically asking that, sorry.

i have a bass, bought it new in 91, haven't seen the need for another, so until about 2 years ago when i picked up a cheap 5er, that was it.

i'm starting to explore an emergency or grab and go cheapo to kick around with. i am, for the most part, a hard rock to metal player, and don't use a pick. the technique i have taught myself (maybe right, maybe wrong but it's how i play, sooo... ) sort of requires a pickup in the center position. neck pickups seem to put my hand in a weird spot, and bridge pickups make the strings feel too hard to pluck with authority. i sometimes play dirty, most of the time clean but do pluck heavily.

so now it comes to what i'm seeking--- sucess stories--- did you ever pick up a 100-200 priced bass and actually thought "why, that feels pretty nice"? if yes what was it? that is what i need. something decent enough, but a model that will always be on the cheap and i won't give a ***k about getting dinged and abused.

stopping a twit-ar center tomorrow, so the newest pile-o-shyte models aren't necessarily what i'm after, i'll see them there.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Check out the Squier Vintage Modified P. You can easily find a used one for 200. About 290 new. Definately not POS.

Check out guitarfetish.com P bases around 170. There's a thread about them. Xaviere is the brand.

3. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    The biggest surprise I ever got was when
    I bought a Peavey Fury for $65 at a pawn
    shop.

After re-wiring and installing a Fender pup,
    it is the best P bass I have played.

It's the black one on the end,

10-25-5.

Tabdog

4. 96tbird

Nice score tab!

5. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Before I knew what SX was, I occasionally used one at a band member's house and really liked it.
    Then I learned what SX was, and was pretty impressed - cost not withstanding.
    That was my only positive result with basses less than $200 (including other SX basses).
    I wouldn't mind owning that one though. It played very nicely.

6. I've had tons of fun with a used $100 SX SP-J 62 that I picked up two years ago. Paid off that bass with the first gig I used it.

7. SX, Squier CV and VM, and Xaviere (Welcome to Guitarfetish) immediately spring to mind in the $100.00 to $200.00 range.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Cheap basses rule. Most I ever paid for a bass was $1500 new, and I have 5 that cost $250 or less, and I've got about $500 into my main bass.

I've had a couple SX basses and still have one, and they're pretty good basses for cheap, but both required some fretwork for me to be able to use them. So if I had to do it over again, I'd probably just get a Squier and save myself the aggravation. I did the fretwork myself and saved some money, but it's a PITA and I didn't do a totally pro job on them, and it's not cheap to get it done by a pro.

9. brocco

brocco

Feb 27, 2010
    Paid $400 for this Tune TWB43....this thing is incredible!here it is with my Combustiuon

Attached Files:

10. Squier Affinity Jazz, I tried one out at GC and was very surprised with the playabity. It sounded OK thru a GK head, it was only $169.

11. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    What I am starting to realize is that it all depends on your application. If you play in a loud rock band with a few exceptions really any bass will do. I mean sure how it feels is important and then there are aesthetics to deal with, but for a loud rock band you should be able to find some combination of strings, pickup settings, tone setting, and amp controls to get a workable sound.

Now that changes in jazz for instance. That is where you are going to need a really great bass that has an amazing tone because there is space and people are going to hear the overtones and whatnot.

I don't know I could be wrong.

12. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    A good bass is a good bass.

Tabdog

13. Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass

14. maxiegrant

maxiegrant Bassist in Transition

Nov 26, 2007
    Sellersburg, IN
    Squier Vmj fretless. Not just good but a great bass. I have tried dozens of fretless basses over the years. This one practically called me from its hook on the wall. Great feel and a tone that won't quit. Less than 300 .

15. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Keep an eye out for parts basses too. I just snagged a P/J in excellent condition for $220. Fender licensed neck, Grover tuners, Basslines pups, Badass bridge, CTS pots, and Switchcraft jack. It went right into the rotation with my more expensive basses.

16. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I can vouch for the Xaviere from Guitar Fetish. Great bass, only needed a little touch of fretwork (luckily I can do this myself!!). At $169 new, a few bucks spent upgrading parts isn't all that big a deal.

17. 96tbird

The guiterfetish bases have a nice Sadowsky lookin headstock too. SX are hideous.

18. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Dec 25, 2011
    I bought a used fireglo Ric in 1977. It was my main bass for almost 30 years. $895 w/case. Big $ back then.

Summer of 2007...just surfing through ebay and found a gently used (couldn't tell it'd ever been played) Korean built Rogue Violin bass for $149 shipped.

Replaced the tuning key knobs, pots & control knobs and the jack & plate. Switched her over to flats and dear God Almighty! I can't belive this thing!

Even with the floating bridge, I have NO intonation problems, the difference in weight from the Ric is beyond compare, the short scale is a dream...the list goes on & on.

Yes, I do "The McCartney thing", but I've also used it in several cover band that didn't do any Beatles stuff, and I use it regularly for tracking my originals.

Yeah, I still have the Ric. She comes out of the case to get dusted off occassionally. Had a few friends ask, "Don't you feel guilty having a bass like that sitting in its case while you play that POS?" All I can say is "NOT AT ALL!"

Probably not the best bass for your style of music, but greap "cheeps" are out there.

19. i've played and owned several inexpensive basses that were very impressive.

20. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I am surprised all the time by cheap basses way more than expensive ones.