1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Been testing round wounds - next up Fodera!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by u84six, Oct 22, 2013.

1. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I guess they're not exactly round wound from what I've read. For anyone who has used them, how would you describe the sound?

So far I've tested EB Super Slinky (light), EB Cobalt Slinky (standard), DR High Beams (light), DR Sunbeams (light/standard), TI Jazz Rounds, Fender 8250 (standard), D'Addario XL (light), Sadowsky Blue Label SS (standard), Rotosound 66 Swing SM66, and GHS Boomers (standard). I tried them on 2 different P basses (62 reissues and a 2012), a 90s MIA Jazz, and my RIC 4003. Lots of interesting results.

So, onto Fodera. This will be the first time I've tried a compressed round wound. Should be interesting.

So many more strings to test...

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Actually, they are very much a roundwound and you've got a few compressed wound strings on your list...DR's are compressed wound.

If you like DR Sunbeams but need them just a hair tigher feeling and brighter sounding, you'll love Fodera's. I've switched to them because they offer a .135 tapered B string, and Jason at www.bassstringsonline.com offers them in custom sets.

3. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Im a Roto RS66LD fanboy, just love the way they sound brand new outta the pack. They don't stay like that forever but they still sound pretty darn good for a month or so afterwards.

4. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US

I did not know that DRs are compressed. Thanks for the info. I do like Sunbeams so I think I will like Fodera nickels. I'm definitely not a big fan of stainless steel anymore. I really doubt I'll be testing steels going forward unless someone convinces me to try a specific brand.

After all those strings I've tested, I have to say that most of them are pretty good in their own way. I think the Sadowsky steels and the Boomers were my least favorite, whereas Sunbeams and EB Super Slinkys are at the top of the list. I was also surprised that I liked the Rotos considering that I do not care for their flats, and I've tried just about every flat wound out there.

5. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Foderas are the best roundwounds I've ever used. I wish I could find an equivalent for guitar.

6. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US

I just strung up my new (light) Foderas on my MIA P V and all I can say is wow! I can't really give them a personal rating until I get past the breakin period. But I have to say, these things could be the perfect round wound for me! Just like mmbongo said, they're similar to DR Sunbeams (which are currently my favorite round for P bass), but just a bit higher in tension and a tad brighter. These 2 attributes are an improvement over the Sunbeams! I think these will bubble up to the top of my favorite string list. :) They're perfect for pop/rock cover band situation because they respond really well to the tone knob. The only thing I'd like to try is non tapered B because the tapered B (which I have) feels just a little unbalanced compared to the other strings (lower tension). But I do prefer .120 for a B string, and that's what they are. I'll be using these strings for my next 5 gigs. Can't wait to hear them with my stage gear! So far, they play, feel, and sound like very high quality strings!

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention that bassstringsonline got these to me in just a day! Amazing service considering that my last order took a while because of inventory issues. Seriously, very speedy delivery!

7. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    They dont hurt your fingers at all? they kinda hurt mine....its weird they feel kinda grippy and I like that...I like how they feel....they just hurt I had to stop playing after 45 min or so where usually with circle k or XLs I can play all day without it bothering me. they are kinda tight...I thought they would feel a little looser...but they feel good. I am not sure if its the tightness or the grippy thats making my fingers hurt. Infelds are kinda tight and they end up making my fingers sore early....and I am way past the finger hurting stage...I have been playing for a year at least an hour a day and in the last 3 months 3-5 hours a day. my fingertips are hard as rocks! they get sore under the caulis's!

8. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US

They don't make my fingers hurt, but I can see why they might be a little tough for some new players. They are quite grippy and the windings are pointier than some other nickel plated strings. I've been playing for 35 years and I barely have any feeling in my fingertips. ;) If you think these are bad, don't ever use rotosound. Those things are like bridge cable compared to these. The only problem I'm having with these right now is the tapered B string. I don't like the difference in tension when compared to the other strings. I'm going to replace it with non tapered and try it out. Other than that, these are so far some of the best strings I've ever used. Perfect tension (minus the tapered B), deep sound but bright, and a nice sounding sizzle when hitting the edge of the frets. They really make my P bass sound like a freakin' P bass! I still need to give them a bit more time to breakin. But these are definitely up there with Sunbeams.

9. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    I never used D'addario XLs and they came on this 75 avri I just got ....and they sould pretty much like these foderas but much smoother and a hair lighter...like they are machined with a tighter winding....I think I like those best...circle K are pretty nice too. I have tried pretty much almost every string....and I was suprised how nice the XLs feel for a cheap string....too bad they only last a month before they are dead. These Fodera are the same gauge as the XL170s and I was having a hard time getting my neck to stop buzzing and keeping the action low. so even thoough these are .100 080 060 040 they must be a bit thicker.
    I do like the grippy feeling...just wish it didnt hurt. it makes you feel like you have more control or something.

10. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I haven't tried Circle K yet but hear a lot of buzz about them around here. They're definitely on my list. I'm still waiting for these Foderas to break in and also waiting for the non-tapered B. I bet I will love them after I replace the tapered B.

The XLs are pretty good. They just don't feel like quality to me and that's what I'm drawn towards (I'm sure it's personal preference). On the other hand, DR Sunbeams are not very expensive but they do feel like quality. EB Super Slinky nickels are another fairly cheap string that I like. They sound great on my MM Stingray! Some people say that they also go dead quickly, but my experience is that they just change in tone after the break in period and I really like the results (I'm not much for zing).

edit: just notice that you're a fellow Bostonian. Go sox! ;)

11. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    They better win tomorrow!!!....I say that and it took me till august to watch them I was so pissed off over the last couple years at Fenway!

you know the more I play these today the more I like them! I think mine were just I dunno sharp? I been playing them all day and my fingers feel fine and they are kinda nice to play...I like the slight grippyness of them! and the tone is pretty smooth all around....sounds like it wont really stick out....but I hate strings that are high on the mids or too much boom...nice and smooth all around tone.

12. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    Ok I was totally wrong....those are great strings! the painful sharpness went away after 12 hours of playing on them and they play and sound wonderful! I must have got a not polished pack or something....but now they feel great. they even lost most of their grippyness.