1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Been thinking about a flanger or a phase shifter......

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Geddyfleaharris, Feb 29, 2008.

1. It has been years since I have used either of these pedals but have been thinking lately of adding one. I think I had the effect they created backwards until last night when I was going through old threads. I thought a phase shifter would produce the big, slow "woosh" plus other sounds while the flanger produced a "watery" effect. But last night I found an old thread where Mystic Boo had links to an MXR 117 (?:meh:) and a Small Stone phase shifter. The MXR produced the big woosh effect which I love and the Small Stone produced the "watery" effect.

Do phase shifters pretty much stay to the watery effect? I loved the MXR!

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I've always thought of phase shifters as being "shimmery" ("watery" is a pretty good description, too). The Nano Small Stone is one of my favorites for that sound (I never quite liked the MXR Phase 90). Flanging is definitely a "swoosh" sound, sometimes "jet-like" (especially with overdrive or distortion).

3. The Electro Harmonix Flanger Hoax is a pretty versatile piece. It is actually two phasers with limited delay. It has tons of controls, so you can dial in the effect you want. It sounds nice with the bass.
    My favorite phaser is the Musitronics Mutron Phaser II. It has three controls and sounds great on bass.

4. Thanks Mystic! I want the "jet". :)

5. really? i've heard that those don't sound very good on bass due to low end loss and tone suck. do you have clips?

6. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    See, I'm gonna go ahead and disagree here. I love both phaser and flanger. But I think of phaser as being more "whoosh"-y than flanger. I think of flanger as sounding more warbly-wooshy than jet-wooshy. Here's an example of what I'm talking about: clip - This clip is going through a phaser, not a flanger, and its definitely the "jet whoosh"

7. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I can still hear the colorful "shimmer" of the phase, even with distortion. It's a characteristic that never goes away. Not that it's a bad thing, though. :)

But it's definitely things like that which make it hard to choose between phasing and flanging. They can sometimes "overlap" with similar sounds, but even when similar, there are enough subtle differences to tell them apart.

One other useful keyword for describing a flanger, depending on how you set it, is "metallic" - it's a sound a phaser can't do.

8. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
  9. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    no argument there. There is definitely a discernable difference between phasing and flanging. And the ping-y, metallic edge to most flangers is the most telltale difference to me. To me, phasers have a more air-y, white noise-y swoosh to them

10. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Above all else, the recurring problem with phaser-versus-flanger threads happens to be semantics. :D

11. The clip of the phaser "jet" is pretty cool but overll the sound that I heard from the MXR clip last night is the one in my head. As you say Boo - metallic. With a fuzz or distorsion I am sure it would sound huge!

12. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    SpankyPants did a hilarious but educational demo video of the MXR M-117R Flanger just the other day, showing different settings and plenty of distorted jet-flange action.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410613

Enjoy. :D

13. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I think phasers are swooshy. Especially with a bit of OD.

Flangers are hard and metallic and jetty.

14. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Boss PH-3 is a very cool pedal that gets you a bunch of different watery sounds. 7 different modes, tap tempo and rate control via expression pedal.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You really need them both, maybe not at the same time, but c'mon, they're both too cool not to have.

16. I am trying to exercise a bit of self control. :)

3 Toes - The Wikipedia link about flanging was a pretty cool read. Thanks!

17. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
  18. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    GEE AAYYEE JJJJJJJJOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I prefer Phasers to flange or chorus (though a nice chorus has it's place for me as well).

I had a Nano Small Stone that was pretty cool, but I wanted something a little 'less' and something a little more!

Now I use a Phase 45 clone and a Maxon PT-9 Pro+

Phasers a 'swishy' to me :)