Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Been upgrading a mexican fender..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I've been in the process of upgrading a mexican fender jazz bass and it's really turning out nicely. So far I've upgraded the tuners to REAL fender tuners (not the cheap ones:), put active emgs in, put on this fractal looking eggshell pickguard, and just recently purchased a 63 vintage custom made neck and put that that on. The neck was originally being sold at guitar center for somewhere around $320.. I was able to pick it up for slightly under $200 and got a pretty killer deal on it. All that's left is a new bridge, which I've got a few bids in on ebay (badass II). Anyways, I'll post a pic when it's done. It's sounding pretty sweet right now ;)

2. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Congrats !
    I really like customized bass ...
    How is the neck different/better ?

3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    The neck seems more substantial (thicker) and has awesome sustain. Also it seems to need very little adjustment as far as truss rods go. I'm very satisfied and it makes me feel all oldschool :)

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i am addicted to customizing stuff...

my car (it's an 83 vw gti with a 92 passat 16v engine bored out to 2.1 with twin webers, etc)
    my fretless (used to be fretted, now isnt, sans pickguard, tung oiled fretboard)
    my upright (sanded neck, will be getting all black hardware and de-finished)

i cant find anyway to customize my warwick, 'cept maybe new electronics...

i'm gonna buy a 100 dollar fender pawnshop bass and drop all sorts of neat stuff into, then build up a warmoth bass.

helped my friend with his MIM stratocaster - it now has a tung oil finish, carvin electronics and hardware, and a wenge/macassar ebony fretboard.

custom = good :D

jason

5. Wow! I dig frankenstein basses! :D

I think the vintage neck is a particulary sweet touch!Post a pic asap!

6. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    I've been going down a similar road with my "Standard",ie MiM,P-bass.Maybe it's just me, but I've had no problems with the tuners...not enough to justify replacing them anyhow.I did put a little bit of white grease on the worm and the gear and they turn very smoothly and haven't given me any troubles.I replaced the pickup,added US model pots and jack and did a full shielding job in the cavity and on the back of the pickguard.It is a very quiet bass now,my old bass used to pick up a chinese am radio station!!;lot's of fun.The bridge replacement will make a big difference in the focus of the notes and in the sustain.I made my own bridge from billet brass and put the strings through the body[through my own ferrules].The only thing left that I'd really like to do is to add an all maple neck from Warmoth and cut the headstock to the old "tele" bass shape.Almost forgot,I did add a pair of nice knurled knobs to replace the Strat! knobs that came with it.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You know, most people mention replacing tuners, and talk about how crappy Fender's stock tuners are.

The only reason I would replace tuners is to go with lighter weight models to reduce headstock dive.

8. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Upgrades are the beauty of a cheap Fender. I'd like to get a crapped up P-bass for my next project. Hey Infect love to see a photo of that bass when your done.

9. Embellisher, another potential reason to replace tuners would be to put in not lighter, but heavier tuners, to get rid of the "Fender deadspot."

10. embellisher

I guess I can see the point of heavier tuners, but I have never known of anyone to replace good lightweight tuners with heavier ones.

11. You know, I was driving home last night thinking how great Fenders are because they're pieces-parts axes and you can bolt anything on there (I have a '65 P neck and EMGs with Schaller bridge and tuners bolted onto a generic poplar J-plank), but then I realized I ain't never gonna get liverwurst no matter how I rearrange McNuggets. Not that I can't live forever on objects that taste like chicken. I do like my pieces-parts plank (have given it to the daughter to collect dust with, she pretends she plays it and I pretend there's another bass player in the family) and I had a lot of fun Tinkertoying it to death. But it is still sort of a closed system, like hot-rodding Volkswagens.

12. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    With the money that some people put into "upgrades"....They could have bought a decent bass to begin with....;)

13. Yeah, but.... would they be made in Mexico?

14. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Nah...probably Korea....:D

15. My reasoning is, the upgrades I want to do with my MIM jazz (j-retro, bridge, tortoise shell guard) is the same thing I would do to a MIA jazz.

16. i took my stock black fender mim jazz and replaced the pickups with a set of american std vintage pickups and what a difference. the stock tuners seem great as this bass always held a tune. i did put a white pearl p guard on it cause i had one laying around, im just gonna add a badassII chrome bridge to it and im done. i wish it was more beat up looking, but time will cure that! i love this cheepie, it sounds the balls, i got a set of ghs lite gage strings on it. i seem to play this bass more than some of my vintage and more expensive newer fenders. who would think my mexi would turn out to be a burner? i like it , its my frankenstein bass...

17. dblbassted

dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    While this may be true in some cases, I know my rodded MIM P has a lot more appeal to me than a stock Am. Stan. P does. I've played lots of american ones, but the MIM with a Basslines Quarter pound, Hishot Xtender, and Badass II really sounds like a much more expensive, seasoned instrumant than it is, for less than a MIA P.

My $0.02

18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

I was going to say the same. You can't customize your pups on a stock bass, and you can't customize your bridge, or anything else. It's just like getting more bang for your buck. :)

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    What? Cant customize a stock bass? Sure you can, you just won't call it stock anymore!

20. embellisher

OK, I'm confused here.:confused: