1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Been working on songwriting, what can I do better?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GuyMcee, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Here is a link to something I did yesterday, it definitely needs improving, but I'm curious.
    What would I need to do to make my music sound better?

2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Not to be a wise acre, but add some vocals. It is kind of incomplete sounding without them.

Personally, I like short songs so I think the timing is good.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY

This really just applies to that staccato guitar thing going on through out. In annoys me.

But it's cool. You're making music. I'm not. Not my place to criticize, but you asked for opinions.

4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. Or if not vocals, a melody. Most of it sounds like all rhythm parts. Even so, it depends on what the song is for. I couldn't really imagine having a CD of this and playing it in my car. But I could imagine it on a TV or movie soundtrack, or in a commercial.

ImNotJoel and AaronVonRock like this.
  5. I totally agree with the vocals thing, I was actually going to add vocals once I found a singer lol.

After listening, I can definitely fix the annoying guitar thing

6. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    I am actually going to go against the grain. The staccato guitar is fine and I actually think builds nicely when the second guitar comes in just lower the level of the first guitar way down. I suggest once the chords pick up lowering it so it's barely audible but felt. That way when the turnaround comes with the sticcato you can just raise the level a little then lower it.

Vocal wise it's not nessecary you could just throw leads over and make it instrumental or do two versions with and with out vocals. Don't take this the wrong way because it's a compliment the song as is actually could be great commercial or radio announcing background music as it is now.

Mixing and songwriting I say it all the time are two completely different arts. Something seemingly simple as having the right levels is far from it. I think the bass tone is beautiful and love the bass lines it really fills the space perfectly but I would drop it down like just a little bit to let the rest of the mix breath a little. Cool song man and of course take all the advice with a grain of salt at the end of the day it's your song.

7. I have another thing I wrote, but it was a while ago. Thanks for the advice btw, it is definitely helping :p

8. DinoRock

DinoRock

Mar 26, 2015
    New York State
    If you have not already, this is the bread and butter of homerecording.com. You might want to post there as well. You'll likely get a bunch of feedback at all levels, from songwriting to performance to recording technique. Just a thought in case you were not familiar with that forum.

ImNotJoel likes this.
  9. I wasn't familiar with that actually, thanks! I'll definitely post something there.