Beer & Donuts: Lancaster, PA mini-review

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nixdad, Jul 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Everyone -
    So my wife and I just returned from vacation. We visited our 23 year old daughter who lives in the Lancaster area of Pennsylvania over the 4th of July, a long way from So Cal. She lives in the country, surrounded by lush greenery, cornfields, tobacco fields and cool old farmhouses (watch Witness, The Village, or check out a Charles Wysocki painting to get the vibe.) This was our 3rd trip in the past few years.

We had some very tasty food & beverages while on our trip, so I thought I'd share a bit of what we experienced.

Our first night we dined at Spring House in Lancaster. This is a micro-brewery which started in nearby Conestoga, but the owner has opened a few restaurants in the area over the past few years.

Here is a photo of their logo at their main restaurant:
    IMG_1316_zpssrbziqim.gif

This is an old brick building with high ceilings and a massive old boiler inside. Nice open floor plan, wooden tables. Their artwork is kind of schlocky horror, which I love. Here is the beer list for the evening:
    IMG_1318_zpsnya4gtc2.gif

I don't drink that often, but if I'm going to have a beer, it has to be a good one (I'm OK with flavored beers as well.) I've just recently started getting into dark beers lately, so I was happy to see they had some interesting choices. After a few samples, I chose the Blood Turning Black Coconut Coffee Porter (which was freakin' delicious.) Here it is with their soft pretzel appetizer, served with beer cheese and grainy mustard:
    0634ad62-8844-4a7e-bb1d-227adb93de50_zpsbimbekij.gif

Here are their apricot glazed chicken wings (yuuuuuummy) and their Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout:
    2d18ad70-fca3-4b69-8ebc-4bd94af0335c_zpsuf9crgwj.gif

Although I don't have any photos, a shout out to Tomato Pie restaurant in Lititz (just north of Lancaster.) This is a beautiful little town, and Tomato Pie is the real deal. Everything is fresh and flaky, killer sandwiches, killer scones and killer coffee. Check it out if you're in the area.

Donuts. Freakin' donuts. Why are they so good?
    This area seems to have some top-notch donut shops. If you visit Central Market in the heart of downtown Lancaster, get donuts from Shady Maple (they also have a ridiculously massive smorgasbord in Blue Ball - skip the smorgasbord, but get a donut.) There is something special about the consistency and chewiness of their dough. We also checked out a place called Maple Donuts in York (no relation) which were good, but a bit too sugary for me.

Then I found Duck Donuts. Holy tamale, you gotta love companies who bring something new (at least to donuts) to the table.
    These guys are following the trend of "build your own" meal type restaurants. Start out with a warm cake donut, then choose your frosting, toppings, and drizzle:
    cb7830fd-6d8a-4af5-981a-8e1ac8f4185d_zps0bixe9gf.gif

Here is the assembly line:
    c7f94cd5-9654-4756-acde-0d251d4eb463_zpsnmy8omgn.gif

And the end result:
    IMG_1373_zpsrkuqjzsd.gif

To be continued...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    SasquatchDude likes this.
  2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Is that...bacon on that donut?

knumbskull and nixdad like this.
  3. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had the maple bacon and "strawberry lemonade;" my wife had the chocolate with white drizzle, and my daughter the coconut topped masterpiece with the chocolate and raspberry drizzle. These were unbelievably good, warm, luscious and not too sweet. Their coffee was excellent as well. Look for Duck Donuts if you're back east.

Here is your host with my lovely wife, daughter and her boyfriend. Yeah, he just happened to be wearing my band's T-shirt (shameless plug.)
    e62911ea-8ab3-4a7c-8b07-57ac4a2d16f3_zpsf6ysriaw.gif

Anyway, that's it for this mini-tour. Got any beer & donuts gems to share?

Nixdad

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  4. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    It is! And it was cooked perfectly.
    I'm reliving the experience as we speak...

JLY likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My first wife was from that area. I went up several times. I even played some shows with her uncles who have a band together. We played a place called "Bube's" that might have been in Lititz or Lebanon....and a couple of other places as well around Lancaster. (Pronounced LANK-is-ter by locals.....not LAN-KAS-ter)

It's hard to find bad food up there. And the countryside is beautiful. Just warn your daughter.....the locals make for odd spouses. ;)

nixdad likes this.
  6. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    Aye-yi-yi! I need to start a diet just looking at the pix!

nixdad likes this.
  7. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is that why he always wants her to dress up like a sheep? Ewe!

SORRY!!! Just my twisted sense of humor! He's actually a very nice guy with good values, and he's good to her.

You're right, lots of good food up there. We may have been to Bube's for dinner in October 2013 (was it in Mount Joy?)

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm not sure. It was a little bit of a drive from Lancaster. And it was in ......maybe .....1997? '98?

Ha!

nixdad likes this.
  9. geeza

geeza

Mar 15, 2009
    Earth, but just barely.
    I'm not wearing pants
    I live about an hour from there.

Guess who's going for donuts!

nixdad likes this.
  10. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    You won't regret it!

geeza likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022